Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

When to email a breeder?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by jumba, Jul 28, 2014.

1. jumba

jumba Forums Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2013
    Fl
    Our wedding is in t-minus 39 days! I'm so excited. The other reason I'm excited is because that means....its almost time for a puppy!

We have for sure made our decision to go with a Sheltie. He was hoping for a puppy around Christmas time, but I don't know if a good breeder would do that (so they avoid the whole puppy as a gift thing, and holidays are a little busy). Am I thinking about that right? For us, holidays are not that crazy - I would mostly be concerned about the tree and wires.

So, how long in advance did you contact the breeder of your puppy? What is a reasonable timeframe that we should expect to be on a waitlist?

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    As soon as possible. Breeders tend to know when girls cycle or what their plans are long in advance for breedings and possibly have some breedings happening now that you can get in on.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I agree, ASAP. Not all breeders have litters even yearly. Puppies come at all different times and depending on your breeder, she could have puppies on the ground now or a litter planned. It's best that you confirm your interest so when there is a puppy available, you're in line.

What an exciting time for you! A wedding and a new puppy! Congratulations! :smile2:

4. Pack leader

Pack leader Forums Regular

Jul 21, 2014
    Indiana
    Just food for thought depending on climate getting a puppie that time of year can be tough to potty train when it's cold and snowing out. Congrats and good luck

5. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I agree that a winter puppy would be more of a challenge to housetrain. I also agree with everyone that getting on breeder(s) lists NOW is the way to go.

I wish you luck! I was on 2 lists in February, had to wait to bring the little guy home on 7/5. Looking forward to a better night's sleep & actually being able to watch an entire TV show sometime in the future...but he is so worth every second of inconvenience. Oh...it's 10:47pm - time for one last "outside" before I go to bed.

6. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I would start contacting them now. As Ann said breeders don't always have lower at a set time of the year. It also depends on if you have a preference for sex, color, pretty vs performance etc. The more specific you are the longer the wait can be. We had one person who wanted a biblack female. She waited over a year and a half sure to a drought of girls.

I disagree with winter puppies being harder. Harder on you because you need to go out with them but with my spring/summer pup(Ember)they learn grass and then when the snows hits they need to learn snow all over again , winter puppies have no issue transitioning to grass from snow. Just my experience. All my other dogs have been winter pups except now Celtic.

7. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Only meant a winter puppy is more of a challenge for the humans - poo is harder to pick up, here in WI it is harder for me to be outside in my pjs in December than in July...housebreaking is a challenge at every time of year! :)

8. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    Just to put into perspective, I have been on a waiting list since June (actually, the day before my wedding, CONGRATS!!!) the momma came in heat Friday, babies will be here in October, they'd go home the first week of December

So my answer, as soon as you find a breeder you'd like I would go ahead and ask for a blank copy of their contract, make sure you like that, then get on the waiting list (usually have to put a deposit down). The breeder will be able to tell you roughly when the puppies would be born and when they would go home. If you want to avoid Christmas time, this will help you. Originally our pup was suppose to come home in November, but the mom came in heat a month later than she was suppose to.

People are right that it is harder to potty train in the cold and snow, but my parents have done it numerous times and have no issues (it's mainly people don't like to stand out in the snow with puppies). Just make sure you think about if you will truly have time for a puppy around Christmas time. For us, it works out perfectly because my husband is a school teacher and will be off for two weeks with the puppy. For others, they travel and not home much so it might not work.

9. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I agree with everyone else....ASAP!

10. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl