Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hope sheltie mix small times up! Blackwell pound, OK

Discussion in 'Adopt a Sheltie' started by Danny's mommy, Apr 12, 2012.

1. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    thank you so much. put in a request. i hope something comes throught, is a few miles...so :fl

2. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    i just talked with shelter that has Hope, she is going to a rescue in tulsa , they are picking her up saturday morning. so now looking like might have to go through the rescue. the man said he spoke with a lady named carol.
    so, if any of you know the name of that rescue, please let me know

3. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Hi Rose. If she gets out of the pound and into a rescue will be the best outcome for Hope at the moment because the pound again emphasized her time was up and they have to follow rules. Ugh. Last night I sent out about ten emails to rescues in that area. I know she was posted by them on other rescue sites too. The pound still wants me to find a back up for her in case her potential adoption falls through. :fl

4. UConn Sheltie

UConn Sheltie Forums Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    Conn
    As for moving a dog around, how 'bout longhaul truckers: Operation Roger. Or Rescue Relay or even Roads of Hope?

5. Danny's mommy

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Hope is definitely going to be picked up Saturday by a rescue in Tulsa.

6. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    how do i go about getting her from them ? do you know the name of the rescue. the guy at the shelter only knew the lady's first name, Carol.
    i know alot of rescues don't like to adopt out of state

7. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    thank you so much for the information

8. Danny's mommy

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Didn't John give you the information? You should contact John and get the info. I can email him but I think he is tired of all my emails. He didn't give me the name of the rescue.

9. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    he didn't know the name of the rescue, just ''a rescue, lady's name in Carol, in Tulsa'' so, i will try and call tomarrow morning. maybe he has the name now.
    there is something about her, i am going to try everything i know to bring her home

10. mmcginty

mmcginty Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2011
    Actually, it's not outside the realm of possibility, I design data tiers for things like web sites that need them, I could create a database with web form for people to add themselves over a lunch break. I even have free hosting credits to to host a site with database. So the answer is, yes we could make a registry. But the question then becomes, what would it take to make it useful and secure?

What are you thinking, as far as objective, like a relay transport, where 10 people willing to drive 6 hours each is easier to find than one person willing to drive 60 hours?

Integrating with Google Maps would be a great start -- I've never actually done it, but soooo many sites have that it can't possibly be very difficult. After adding each person in the registry to the map (by zip code) Google Maps routing capabilities would make it easy/intuitive to pick member-to-member route possibilities, and the driving directions pane would even list the distances between members.

Now for the hard parts... Let's take it for granted there were enough participants between points A and B to move dog D: how do you realistically try to sync all their schedules to make it happen? What happens if someone flakes or breaks down along the way? Effectively each member would have to be willing and able to foster for an indeterminate length of time. And how much would it stress the dog to pass through 10 pairs of hands?

As for security in terms of IT, I think it could be functional without exposing members' personal info, inquiry results consisting of only a record ID and a zip code would facilitate mapping/routing without exposing anything that could be abused. And communication via email between members could be managed by the registry system effectively enough with little risk of spamming.

But the prospect of arranging for members to physically meet along the way has obvious safety implications. Even though odds of something bad happening seem quite remote, the worst-case consequences are extreme.

Perhaps a logical first step would be to create a thread about this idea here, to see if sufficient interest exists. If so I'll commit to creating member registration input and storage, and limited inquiry/mapping capability. From there, if enough registrations are submitted to make organizing such travel arrangements somewhat practical, I'd fill in the missing pieces as my time permits.

Anyone with thoughts that pertain?

Oh wow, probably should've thought of this about 5 paragraphs ago... hcarol, I hope your question wasn't merely rhetorical! :biggrin2: