Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

puppy show training

Discussion in 'Handling Techniques' started by Justicemom, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    So on the off chance that Birch actually stays in size, Rachel and I were working on the table and gaiting. I worked Leo and Ash on the table and they stood so nice and steady. They didn't really get the lead but after a few minutes I got them to move on the leash and they again were so nice.

So then I work Birch. OMG he was like the energizer bunny on crack. wiggling all over the place on the table and when he wasn't leaping into the air, he was bounding around at the end of the leash. Rachel told me she hasn't work that much with her puppies but that mine was just the wild one. Understatement! I mean that why I like him but really.

Any tips other then to just keep practicing to tame this wild thing?

2. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    keep working with him...personally I think it is endearing when I see puppies in the puppy class having a blast at the show and when they do the down and back at some point leaping for joy...I think Tansey was the cutest puppy in the ring when she would leap all 4's off the ground...although im sure Megan begged to differ :lol:

I like the little naughty attitude, so im defiantly the wrong one to offer training advice!!! I Just happen to luck out with Noah who was a 6 month old puppy with 200 year old soul, so he was always on his best behavior..

3. missjenneygirl

missjenneygirl Forums Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009
    connecticut
    I am very forgiving of puppy antics. Except puppies that won't walk. But Lightplum is right, keeping it fun for the puppy is very important. I never expect them to be perfect. To this day, Tansy thinks being in the ring is one big game to get the food.:lol:

4. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Like you said, just keep practicing... if he wants to settle down and be a pro, that's OK, and if he doesn't, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it!

He does need to learn to walk properly. Just keep him on a loose leash, say "Let's go!", and when he pops up/twirls/whatever, stop. You know what I'm talking about - if he gets silly, the game ends. If he moves nicely, he gets to keep moving.

On the table, make sure you're holding his head correctly (three fingers in the collar, thumb under the ear, pinkie under the jaw) at all times. Not a death-grip, just constant contact. When you put him on the table, give him a little side-to-side rock - it sort of settles them into their feet, I think.

He'll be fine. Keep it fun - he'll get there eventually.

5. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Ask me again after I take the Border Collie to handling class. :lol:

Shelties are easy to train, even as babies. And I like them bad. I have one who leaps up at the end of the down and back before he stacks himself, as if to say "HI!!" I just never told him not to do that, I think it's cute.

6. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks I think he is pretty darn cute too. I have not come down on him for any of this silliness as I realize he is a bay. I will just keep practicing. He is just too busy to stand still at the moment.:smile2:

7. seashel

seashel Forums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2010
    Kent, UK
    It seems I say this on every thread of yours, but I am finding exactly the same with Epic - he gets so excited he does everything but dance a jig on the table and when I bring it out, he tries to jump up on it (it's about 3 feet high!) I'm leaving the table practice for the moment and just working on teaching him the basic stand command on the floor. Like you, I'm waiting to see if he makes the grade for show and he won't be making his debut at 6 months anyway, so I figured there was time enough.

With Yogi I trained him religously to show, to the extent he treated it too serously and lost all animation. He'll stand and show like a rock for 10 minutes but the 'zazz' isn't there. Revel barely had any puppy show training and he will stand and show fine but looks far more animated and not like a statue. I wanted that with Epic so that while he would show, he wouldn't forget to be a sheltie too...time will tell if I have the balance right this time.:wink2: