Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Emma's eventul day - first therapy visit

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Emmasmom, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Today, Emma and I embarked on our adventure of being a therapy dog team. We went to a local day care and spent about an hour with toddlers. They were so cute. Each one was so gentle patting the dogs - there were three, a retired Greyhound, a black Cocker and Emma. Emma thought it would be fun to try and find all the crumbs from the kids' snacks. She was just so gentle with the kids, not worried at all about being petted. Two little guys each took a turn walking Emma around the room. They thought it was such so special to hold the leash and walk the dog. One little guy told me Emma was his dog. Next week, we are off to a community living home, I think with handicapped adults, but as it is a new facility, I am not sure what to expect.

Also, Emma and the others now have NTD after their names, which stands for Novice Trick Dog. Just for the fun of it, I am teaching them tricks and then applying for a certificate for them.

Here is Emma and her certificate that came today. The other two have their certificates on the way. And Emma was all dressed and ready to go to the daycare when I took the picture

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      42.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    What a good girl! You must be so proud. Good luck next week, I know she'll do wonderfully. Hugs and pats for Emma!

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Happy to hear that you had such a successful debut! And congrats on the trick title, I love that our breed is so versatile :)

4. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    I love the little boy said Emma is his dog now :smile2:. She did great on her first day, I'm sure the next will be great, too!

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Emma looks quite proud of her certificate, as she should! Congratulations on a successful first outing as a therapy dog. I adore our therapy dogs at the hospital, they lighten my load as well as the patients'.

Thanks for doing therapy work!

6. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    Isn't it a neat feeling to cheer up some one just by being you ?! My husband is admissions director at a nursing home, so he frequently takes Sally to work with him. She is very shy but has become more and more comfortable with being there and now does her "tissue" trick for anyone; everyone loves this trick, it is so cute. Good for you completing your certifications.

7. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Congratulations Emma and Emmasmom for a job well done. I think to cheer someone in that situation is such a blessing and these sweet little furbabies just have it done to doing it right. The fact that they always want to please, especially their mommas is one of the many things that make them such good Ambassador's for the breed. :winkgrin:

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Layla the Therapy Sheltie says, "Welcome to the pack, Emma!" :smile2:

9. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Emma's eventul day-first therapy visit

WTG, Emma!!!!!! :) I had to laugh at Emma's search for all the crumbs the kids might have dropped...typical Sheltie! LOL

I am always in awe of the joy and comfort dogs can bring to humans young and old...we are so lucky to have them as our companions.

Trini

10. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    She was just making sure the floor was clean for the other two dogs!:lol:

It felt so good coming home on Friday afterwards. Emma is a natural at this.

I forgot - one little girl kisses Emma on the tail. The worker was laughing about Emma getting kissed on the bum.

And Layla - Emma is so glad to be part of the pack.