Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

PAL/ILP Experiences

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Greenepony, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    We looking into possibly sending in paperwork for Olive to be listed with the PAL - sort of so we can stop saying "as far as we know she's a sheltie" and also so we can get her instinct tested in the fall (she certainly shows enough interest herding the misbehaving dogs at the park!)

But we wanted to hear stories/experiences of anyone else who has gone through the process. Did you find they want show groomed to really look the part? How much deviation from the standard do they allow? I know it's essentially do they "look" like the breed, but that's pretty vague.

(Mods, feel free to move this, I didn't know where else to put this)

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I got Callie from a sheltie rescue and got her PAL so we could compete in Rally.
    not too sure how much our experience will help you as there was no question as to her breed.... we pretty much just filled out the form, sent the pix and paid our money and got our paperwork from AKC. The mixed breed registration didn't exist then but I eventually got that for my beagle mix so he could try rally too.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/30423587@N04/3369393606/

3. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    Pretty much the same experience here. I got Lexi from a breeder, but she never followed thru on papers. When we wanted to compete in rally, I sent in her pictures and the money and they registered her.

I have a friend who had an aussie mix and was able to register him as an aussie, even though he had a tail and looked a bit like a border collie.

When I registered Lexi, I didn't know you could give them a registered name. I just registered her as Lexi. That is one thing I regret, because it would have been fun to have a more inventive name on her title certificates.

4. Mitchy

Mitchy Forums Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2012
    Idaho, USA
    I have two of my chihuahuas who needed PALS as they were rescues, and both went through with flying colors. It was a very easy process. They granted them both under chihuahua and I didn't have to do either as All-Americans.

They asked for a picture from the front and side. I did groom them up nicely (although they are short haired :lol: so not much grooming). Made sure their ears were erect and attentive as that is a major chihuahua trait.

I know that with one she does have another registration and I noted that and gave them her registration info. I noted their size at the shoulders and weights (which were appropriate for chihuahuas). Any history I noted as well that would indicate chihuahua (i.e. comparison to my registered ones).

I don't know if that helps, or maybe just gives encouragement :wink2:

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I regret not coming up with the name as well- Callie could have led to so many cool names but her CGC and Rally Novice just say Callie.

I've done better with the pups' names:winkgrin:

6. Trip

Trip Forums Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012
    Chattanooga
    Just did PAL about a month ago, I filled out the application with the little information I had on Beignet and sent in my 2 pics.

She was approved and I got the paperwork back about 2-3 weeks after I sent it in. Easy peasy.

7. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    This gives me hope! Olive is contrary about putting her ears up ("ears!" usually results in yoda ears when a camera is present) and her coat is still coming in (we want to catch it before she blows it for the spring) but I think we can squeak by.

8. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    A friend was turned down twice n her application for an ILP on her Catalhoula (maybe) female, and Susan would not take no for an answer. She had her dog looked out by a Catahoula breeder, who then wrote a letter which was sent with the pictures and applicaton. Third time was charm, Trevy UD is now an ILP Catahoula and the first of the breed to earn an AKC Utility Dog title. :)

I had no trouble having my first dog ILP'd as a Flat Coated Retriever (which was very doubtful) and my Bobby was ILP'd easily, as a sheltie (a complete no-brainer!)

My pedigreed boy, carefully planned and purchased, well... he might be turned down as 9 of 10 common folks say he's a collie. :)

9. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    We have an ILP on Vinca. It was a bit of a pain in the neck. I think if I were to do it again, I would just get a PAL instead. Maybe, although it is nice that she can be listed as a Shetland Sheepdog. They just wanted a lot of pictures of her.

10. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    ILP and PAL are the same thing, they just renamed it. ILP numbers start with 1, PAL numbers start with 2.

/end trial secretary geek