Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

deaf ear to training

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by coopersmom, Nov 18, 2013.

1. coopersmom

coopersmom Forums Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    My seven month old baby has apparently went deaf when it comes to training. He won't do anything for me. Has forgot how to sit, won't dream of heeling, won't do a stay. Things he was doing a few weeks ago. I think it is just a stage he's going through, from what I've read. I don't remember Randy doing this, but Randy hated to train and never trained good in his life. In spite of that he did earn his CGC!

Maybe Casey just needs a break.

2. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Welcome to the teenage years for your Sheltie. The brain tends to check out for an upgrade about this time and eventually returns good as new.

3. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I think I saw Fillion flip me off the other day...

4. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    It'll come back. I've had a couple who went off for a while as puppies in training and it came back. My Ember, the dog I taught 10 tricks by 8 weeks old, made an *** of me in puppy class graduation around 6 months old. Her obedience is now very secure, and she is an incredibly brilliant agility dog. She's 4 years old this year.

5. coopersmom

Dec 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Any idea how long his brain will be on vacation? He's such a sweetheart but I know the trainer thinks I don't do a thing with him all week. We train every day, but you sure wouldn't know it in class.

6. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    Welcome to stages of shelties. Ruutu listens one week, then next week he's a complete dumb dumb. Oh, and chasing after females :rolleyes2:

7. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    It varies by dogs. While I was training Agility with Ruutu (they don't train in winter months) one woman pointed out dogs go through 9 stages by time they're one. I don't know how accurate that is, but I do notice sometimes Ruutu behaves other times he can't help but be bad and act like he never learned anything. Agility is a real treat because one week he's super puppy and does just as well as others competing then the next week he's afraid of everything. :eek2:

8. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    I would suggest you take a break from formal training for about a month and just go back to socializing with occasional sits, downs etc. in public places. I find most dogs will go through this and, if pressed about it, will be less enthusiastic in future training endeavors.

9. coopersmom

Dec 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Tagg, We have two more classes, then we're done. I will be glad as I really believe he needs a break. We're going to a different trainer in mid-January so he'll have a bit over six weeks off from training. I am not pushing him at all right now.