Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Asta has vestibular disease

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Sharon7, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    So, I get home from work yesterday where I was taking care of really sick people, looking forward to the nice Valentine's dinner we had planned to make only to find a note from my DH saying "Asta stumbling, gone to vet".

My stomach dropped to my shoes. She was absolutely fine that morning so I thought, stroke, brain tumor, intracranial bleed, poison.... I was in a panic and crying. Hubby had to fight holiday traffic to get to our vet. No answer on his phone.

Called the vet hospital, our wonderful vet came on the phone and told me Asta has a case of "old dog vestibular disease". Not uncommon, although none of my other dogs have ever had it. It can come on very suddenly. She got some fluids, and meclazine. Her poor eye balls were going crazy with involuntary movements (nystagmus) but my husband hadn't noticed that part.

Our vet said most cases resolve in a few days, and that she should be better today but bring her back if she's vomiting a lot. Luckily, she never did vomit.

So the good news is, today she is better. Still walking like a drunken sailor but she at least could keep her balance enough to go potty, unlike last night when she kept falling down. We tried to support her with a towel but she didn't like that. At least she's been eating and drinking, no severe nausea but she must be pretty dizzy.

Please keep your fingers crossed that it all resolves with no lingering problems or head tilt! I cried with relief that this is all it was, but still. So hard to see our dogs not being "right". :cry:

2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Oh Sharon I am so sorry. Hope she recovers. Take care of yourself as well at this time - we worry so much. :hugs

3. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Poor Asta! I hope she's better soon. Hugs and kisses to the girls for Valentines Day (even though it's a day late).:hugs

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I'm so sorry. Will be praying for her. My neighbor's dog did that. Lived for years afterwards with a light head tilt and a lot less energy but still was a happy dog.

Hugs. Glad you got to the vet straight away even with So. Cal Valentine's + holiday weekend traffic.

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I hope Asta makes a full recovery! I'm glad your husband was home got her to the vet as soon as possible. Feel better Asta!

6. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Sounds like vestibular neuritis. In people (the kind of mammal I know treatment for) this usually gets better in 1-2 weeks. Wishing your dog a rapid recovery!

7. bi-blacks

bi-blacks Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2012
    Winnipeg, Mb. Canada
    Sorry to hear about Asta. Our Meadow had this last August and it was the scariest thing I had ever been through with any of our dogs. Meadow recovered very quickly and completely, so hopefully Asta will do the same. Although it is considered an older dogs ailment our Meadow was only 5 at the time and I think that was what really bothered me the most. She is a very anxious and reactive dog so our vet feels because of this she is aging more quickly than the average dog so this might explain why she had this episode at her age. My best wishes for Asta's complete recovery.

8. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Our Finish Spitz had Vestibular Disease. I agree, it is scary when it comes on because it does look like a stroke. We were very fortunate our vet recognized it for what it was. She went on to live about 2 more years. (She was 14 when she contracted it.)

She lived with a tilt to her head the rest of her life but adapted to it and was able to function quite normally.

I hope Asta recovers quickly.

9. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    Praying she is back to her old self real soon. Hope you and your husband were able to relax and enjoy Valentine's dinner today...

10. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Miss Sharon, I am so sorry to hear of Asta's ailment. She and your family are in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and full recovery. Please keep on posted on her progress. :fl