Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

When to microchip?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Judyg, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    At what age should you microchip a puppy? It's required here by the county and I don't think my puppy will have one when I pick her up. I was reading about them and a slightly larger needle is used. I want to make sure that she will be ok when I have this done.

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    My vet asked me and I said I would do it when I neuter and she suggested that was the best. BUT, I will be neutering my beast on the slightly earlier rather than later side and that really is not all that long from now. If I were waiting until 12-18 months I would have it done earlier.

My friend's golden breeder does it herself on the puppies before 7.5 weeks, but they are a bit bigger than your girl. I had it done on an adult dog once and he didn't react like it was that big a deal.

3. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    My breeder came over to my house and did it for me when Hanna was 10 weeks old - she actually had run out of chips else it would have been done when I picked her up. It is a huge needle and made me a little faint just looking at it ( I have fainted several times when giving blood, so not a fan of needles).

So I was anxious about it - but she just had her hubby hold Hanna and it was inserted in a few seconds. Hanna did not even whimper or give any indication that it hurt, she was entirely focused on getting the liver treat held in front of her
    nose.

I'd say do it asap - it's going to bother you a whole lot more than the puppy.

4. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I pick her up on the 13th and we go for a check up on the 14th. I'll have to see what the vet recommends.

I'm not going to be in a huge rush to spay so I don't want to wait until then.

5. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    We mircochip all of our puppies before they go home around 8 weeks or so. Actually we do it before the CERF exams so before 8 weeks.

6. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I expect my puppy to be chipped, or it will be done pronto! And, I'll have the chip registered to me right away.

7. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Our vet advised chipping when he went in to be neutered.

8. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Hmm. I'm not sure if the breeder does it or not. I'll have to add that to my list of questions.

9. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    Ruutu came microchipped. My breeder did it at 6 weeks I believe. She said not a single puppy even flinched minus mine, so 5 out of 6 isn't too shabby. Mine just let out a faint cry, which he's a cry baby over some things so that didn't surprise me.

Honey is microchipped but it didn't happen until she was 7. She also had no issues.

10. Mitchy

Mitchy Forums Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2012
    Idaho, USA
    Angus was done right after he came home, at about 8.5 weeks. They are so cute, and my vet feels quite a thief's bounty, hence we did it quickly!

She does use a topical numbing agent, and Angus didn't even act like it bothered him at all.