Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Canine Annual

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Cooper'sMama, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    I live in south Ga, should I get the Lyme vaccine for mine?

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I recently read an article on areas of the country that have serious Lyme issues and was confused that it stated that the south has much less Lyme incident than we do in the Northeast. I always assumed that the warmer the climate, the more potential problem. So I asked our vet about this and he said it was true...very few ticks in the south carry Lyme because the most important host animal for Lyme is the white footed field mouse and that species of mouse doesn't inhabit the deep south.

Check with your vet, but I suspect he/she may tell you the vaccine is not typically needed in your area...but best to check to be on the safe side.

Also some people, even in high Lyme areas, don't want to give the Lyme vaccine since in a very small percentage of the dogs that get it there can be a serious reaction. Our Pixie cannot have the vaccine...she had a grand mal seizure after her first Lyme shot and our vet agreed she should never get another Lyme shot. So I check her carefully every night and if I find an attached tick on her our vet puts her on 7 days of antibiotic to combat any possible Lyme transmission. Pixie is 8 now and this routine has kept her Lyme free in an area that is currently listed as one of the worst areas in the entire US for Lyme.

Trini

3. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thanks Trini - he has such a good heart

4. Cooper'sMama

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    Oh goodness. He had always told me that I probably don't need it! But id hate the get it "just in case" and someone have a reaction!

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    In all honesty if your vet doesn't feel you need to have it done, I wouldn't do it. He would tell you to do it if he felt it was necessary. The south just doesn't have the Lyme problem that we do in the northeast.

Trini

6. Cooper'sMama

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    Goodness!! a lot more expensive than South Georgia! Our dental cleaning is $130 plus extractions and bloodwork.

Cooper goes to work with me for his annual tomorrow. All I am going to do is the exam, heartworm check, rabies, and MAYBE a dhlpp. Should I do a fecal although we use heartgard plus monthly?

7. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    My breeder cautioned against Lepto, says it can be really hard on Shelties. My vet does not give it though.

He also suggested waiting until close to a year before rabies, and to give 1/2 a Benadryl half an hour before the appointment to minimize any reactions. My Pomeranian was really sensitive to all vaccines when he was young and had to have them spaced out to avoid any reactions.

8. Cooper'sMama

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    I do lepto because of where we live. Neither of my three have ever had a reaction to any vaccine.

9. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    We did Lepto too -- I read water reports from our local mountains/national parks and found it has indeed been found in the parks we go to all the time. Giardia is there too.

Cubby took to the multi + Lepto and the oral bordatella just fine, barely a slow down. But he is a horse!

10. Cooper'sMama

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    I don't think I'm going to do bordetella anymore. I can't quite explain my reason in words... I'm just not. But lepto is a must! Even when I discontinue dhlpp, I will still get a lepto booster every year or so