Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ears and Pictures

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by MissyGallant, Apr 22, 2014.

1. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    OK- Peeps, I have a question for ALL of you. How do you get our lovely breed to pose? I LOVE our Casey. He is sweet and wonderful and absolutely adorable. But you'd never know it, because every single time he sees a camera, he pulls his ears back. So all of my pictures look like I have an earless doggie. How do I get him to cooperate?

2. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Get some treats and act like an idiot to get his attention!:lol:
    Hey! Works for Ida!:winkgrin:

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    My shepherd does that. His sit/down stay he always puts his ears back like he is serious and concentrating. I make all kinds of squeaking, kissing, bird, kitty, elephant (etc.) noises just long enough to get his ears up. Of course, UP is the goal being a shepherd. The sheltie, forward folded, requires a low front camera angle and her watching something at a distance. Best is to snap her watching the goats out in pasture as she does the ear fold for that. Low camera angle though! Lots of crawling on the floor. I joke the whole reason the dogs have been to multiple obedience classes is "stay for photo". Melli totally sees a camera and poses now. I suspect her former family took pix with a phone-camera because she totally hams it up whenever the phone is held up in her direction! Keep at it.

4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Be thankful they will hold still mine can't manage that even :eek:

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    the brown dogs are experienced photo models and will look and perk ears and stay put until it's cookie time. The bi boys are still learning to stay and look.......
    to get the ears to perk up- anything that gets their attention but not enough to make them get up and come to you..... so cookies or squeaky toys or you making funny noises
    or you just cover up the non-cooperative ears with a hat

6. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Mine have learned they get a cookie if they sit and pose for me. I make them sit - this has been worked on until they do. When I say, cookie, they look at me. What it took to get to this point is lots of work. In the beginning, they saw the treat in my head and watched it. Try setting the camera on a table (I picked up a cheap tiny tripod in a local dollar store, about 5" in height) and then holding up the treat.

7. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    all you have to say is "ice" in my house and coop and cars ears perk right up!!! :)

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

If you ever watch Westminsters, the handlers have treats secreted all over their body.....sometimes they even have the treats in their own mouths to get the dogs to look up, alert, and the right eye level!

Yes, its all about whatever physical or verbal cue you can give to motivate your dog to perk.

That being said, my Bacca was SO NOT treat motivated, it was really hard to ever get a good picture of him. He just mostly kept his Eeyore look! I only got good pictures of him when he wasn't posing

9. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Part of it is also just getting the dogs used to the camera. Just like with kids, seeing a cyclops suddenly staring at them instead of their loving owner can leave them uncomfortable.

10. Katagaria

Katagaria Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2012
    Ireland
    In order to get my dogs attention, as well as ears up, I hold the camera up and make a high pitched "wheeeeeeee!" noise. Works every time. :biggrin2: