Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hills prescription liver vs Royal Canin liver food..is one better?

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Chase&Connor, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Chase&Connor

Chase&Connor Forums Novice

Mar 11, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Hi everyone. I value your opinion. My sheltie Connor was diagnosed with liver disease in March. He has surgery to obtain several biopsies. He has been on several antibiotics and liver supplements and just had more blood work and his levels haven't changed much. The Dr. suggested changing his diet to Hills prescription liver or Royal Canin liver. We've always fed Anamet and love that product. Anyone have any experience with these products? Thanks so much for your help!

2. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    Would you like me to ask on the yahoo group I moderate canineliver-d?

3. Chase&Connor

Mar 11, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Ellen, YES! That would be awesome! Thanks so much! Helen (Connors mom)

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I struggled with switching Bacca to these foods.....

I would ask a few questions.

How old is your dog?
    When was he diagnosed?
    What is the exact condition......liver disease or liver shunt? Has the vet been specific about this? Have they done ultrasound etc?

I ask only because it makes a difference as to ongoing treatment. As I said I struggled with Bacca trying to figure out the best way to manage.

With liver shunt, you can postpone the inevitable with diet, but cannot cure, without surgery. And even that is no guarantee

Bottom line.....you want a low protein diet. Zentinol as meds. You might need antibiotics from time to time.

What ekes can you tell us about his condition?

5. Chase&Connor

Mar 11, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Connor will be 7 yrs old in September. He has several issues..liver disease, fibrosis of the liver, and elevated emzimes. He was diagnosed in March - routine blood work before a dental cleaning (which hasn't happened yet because the dr wanted to take care of this). He had surgery to have several biopsies taken (horrible experience for me - with worry, and for Connor with being uncomfortable). He's been on a few months of antibiotics, urisodol, vit e, elemental zinc, and several other meds. Just went for follow up blood work and not much has changed. The vet and lab thought continued meds with new food. He eats Anamet, which we love because it is a local company (USA based). The info from the change of food came via voicemail so I have to call the dr on Monday. He doesn't know we feed him Anamet. I am just looking for advice from all the sheltie lovers here.

Thanks for all the support! Helen

6. dogcatmom02

dogcatmom02 Forums Regular

Apr 6, 2014
    york,pa
    Junior was on Royal Canin for the last 6 months of his life. Our vet told us that dogs prefer the taste of that food over the Hills brand. He ate it up until his renal failure started. He liked it.

7. dogcatmom02

dogcatmom02 Forums Regular

Apr 6, 2014
    york,pa
    The other thing that we did was give Junior milk thistle and Same, you can get them at a vitamin store. Junior did not have to be back on liver meds for 6 yrs. He was diagnosed at age 7. Good luck and keep us updated.

8. Chase&Connor

Mar 11, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Oh Dogcatmom, I'm sorry for your loss of Junior. How long did he live with his liver disease? Did he have any symptoms? How did you learn of the disease? Connor is such a happy active dog you would never know he has this going on. I have read that Royal Cainin food was better liked by most dogs so I am leaning towards that brand. He is on vit e now but maybe I'll try the Sam e instead. Thanks for your response! I appreciate it. Helen

9. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    The consensus was no consensus. Some recommended Dr. Dodds diet. Other had no problem with either Science diet or the Royal Canine. I kept hearing that it depends on what liver issue it is. If its a shunt then the prescription diets seem to help..

10. Chase&Connor

Mar 11, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for checking Ellen. I appreciate it. Connor has fibrosis of the liver and high elevations. He does not have shunt. I'll have to figure out the food situation. Fingers crossed. Thanks, Helen