Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Look mom, sheep!

Discussion in 'Herding & Tracking' started by Silaria, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    We had the opportunity to take CJ and Edan to the facility were we attend agility trials for a herding instinct test (not an official AKC test but the person observing the dogs & sheep is AKC certified for herding trials).

Both dogs definitely have natural herding instinct. They both alerted right away when brought near the sheep and were able to move them around the pen. CJ did better than Edan. She was faster than Edan was to approach and move the sheep around. She even moved them against the fence and actually stared them down to keep them there. (We didn't let her do that for very long lest the sheep decide to charge her.)

Edan was naturally able to reverse direction and make the sheep change direction.

We have video of Edan but not CJ. I was having trouble seeing anything on the tablet to take video. Glen had better luck.

We have a herding class this afternoon so we'll see how that goes.

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    That's awesome! When we were there they were telling us about how they're holding more herding events at that venue. You're so lucky to be close. I'm jealous!

The closest herding facility here I think is almost 2 hours away.

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Fun! I need to do a herding instinct test. My trainer was telling me yesterday that I really should let Bailey try herding or try barn hunting.

Have fun in class!

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I am jealous that you have a facility like that.
    I did take the bi-pups to a mini-herding workshop- they had fun but the sheep were not dog familiar so things didn't go as well as they could have.
    The instructor said I would have fun with Destin- she wanted to know if I pre-wound him as he was very bouncy in the ring. I told her that he came that way:winkgrin:
    I hope that the club that sponsored this will get more herding type stuff going so we can go there- otherwise, it's over 2 hours to get to somewhere that has herding instruction.

can't wait for the video- it's so cool to see dogs doing stuff like that with such minimal training/guidance:pop

some clubs are talking about doing barn hunt stuff but I haven't seen anything scheduled yet......

5. cookieP

cookieP Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Spartanburg, SC
    That's so awesome! I am taking Cookie to his instinct test next month. Tried to go this month but it got rained out. I hope he does half as well as your babies :smile2: