Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Broken Leg

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Gracie Leigh, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Gracie Leigh

Gracie Leigh Forums Novice

Jun 13, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Poor wee Gracie has only been introduced and now she has a broken leg. I took her to the vets for an eye infection....was only home 5 minutes and my Aussie accidentally stepped on her...she weighs 5.5kg and he weighs 28kg!...

She was in too much shock to get proper x-rays so only got one film to confirm the break...both wee bones in her right front leg. She's got pain meds and is now splinted and bandaged...won't find out until tomorrow if she is going to need a cast or pins/plates...

Very worried about her recovery....any help with ideas to make her as happy and comfortable as possible would be very welcomed...

Thanks
    Julie

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    My dog broke his front leg, both bones at 18 weeks. No pins needed, just a hard cast for 5 weeks, and a soft cast for 2 weeks. Then we swam him three times a week for months to build the muscle back up. He is fine now, healed great, but I think the rehab had everything to do with it.

3. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Poor baby:cry:! I'm sorry I don't have any advise, but I'm praying for a quick and pain free recovery for you little Gracie.:hugs

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Aw I am sorry to hear about Gracie.:(

Birch' dad Grizz broke his hind leg as a 10 wk old baby when the Malamute stepped on him. He was in a cast for 4 weeks. Luckily he did not need surgery as it was not a complete break.

We had an orthopedic surgeon evaluate him and decided that was the best way to go. It still bothers him a little if you ask him to stand on it like when you are grooming him and he rarely lifts that leg to pee and unfortunately throws off his rear gait just a bit(one of the reasons he is still hunting his last major) but he jumps and runs like the wind. He does agility quite well. Really no one can tell unless they look super close.

Best advice I can make be sure your vet is really good at orthopedics(and a general practice vet can be) or ask to be referred to one if they are not. Casting could be just the ticket but if it heals wrong it is hard to undo. Orthopedics are not my strong suit but I have seen some really messed up legs that were not treated right the first time.

5. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I'm so sorry to hear that! Poor pup. Honey had a small injury in her leg tendon this winter, and bed rest is so hard on them.

Some games we liked that kept her fairly immobile, and entertained, were running my hands under a blanket near her mouth so she could attack them (actually any variation on this game, having her in a box and tapping my finger on the outside worked nicely, placing her in her tent so she could track the shadow of my finger on the outside, putting a blanket over her and running my hands around on it...) Taking a ball and rolling it right past her mouth so she could catch it without moving.

We have a cat toy that's a mouse on a short elastic cord and that was fun for a light tug of war game for her.

And of course kongs stuffed with anything tasty and frozen...

Good luck. I hope she heals quickly!

6. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    puppies often break legs in my family. they break so easily, luckily, my pup (ruutu) has not met the curse. Broken bones happen often, but everything will be fine and dandy in the end. Just make sure you follow your vets instructions. Honey broke her back leg completely in half and she still does agility perfectly fine at age 9. She can also dance on her hind legs. My other puppies before and after here all break their front paws. Literally, the last 3 shelties to enter my parent's house have had broken legs while puppies. They all turn out fine though :biggrin2:

7. penny w

penny w Forums Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2012
    Georgia
    I'm so sorry! Here's to a speedy recovery!

8. Gracie Leigh

Gracie Leigh Forums Novice

Jun 13, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Had an update on the wee'un today...she had been sedated and x-rayed again and the break is quite close to her wrist joint so it is likely to need surgery. The head vet is going to look at the films first thing tomorrow to decide if he can do the operation or if she needs a referral to orthopaedic surgeon.

She has been splinted in the meantime and this afternoon enjoyed her dinner. I was offered to take her home for the night but was worried with the other dogs she would be to excited to see them...and since she isn't repaired yet didn't want to chance making the injury worse..

So ....still waiting...one thing I am not very good at..

Will have to go to my sewing room and make her a fashionable and thick crate pad to keep her comfy when she does come home..:)

Cheers

9. famous seamus

famous seamus Forums Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2011
    new jersey
    Oh ouch, poor lil Gracie. She has youth on her side and sounds like the vet knows his stuff also.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for the wee one.

Hugs,

Kate

10. dblock

dblock Forums Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011
    philadelphia
    I'm sorry to hear of the injury, I can't offer any advice, but, Beau and I are sending wishes for a speedy recovery