Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Vanilla Sheltie

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Tabitha, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Back in June a dog named Mickey was featured on SN's home page titled "Vanilla Sheltie!". Before then I'd only seen one other sheltie that had this coloring. I've seen a few more over the past couple of months (none in person, mostly just on SN and other websites). I'm couios to know what they really are. Are they sable merles or oddly colored sables? Are they within the Shetland Sheepdog standards? I think this coloring is absolutely gorgeous.

2. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    looks like it could be several things.
    1. heavily white factored sheltie.
    2. A white factored aged sheltie
    3. A Sable Merle.

3. Tabitha

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I think it being heavily white factored or a sable merle is more likly than an aged sheltie. I saw a picture of a puppy with the same markings then again as an adult. Not saying that's not the case for THIS sheltie, just that there are shalties that are born with a white face.

Edit
    Here's a pix of MissyGallant's sheltie (not sure if he/she was born like this or if it's from age)
    http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Miniham13/media/Dogs_zps51f50f8f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
    Here is sheltie who has turned white from age
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/258112622366091998/

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  4. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
  5. Tabitha

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Roxie is so pretty! It looks like most of the white on her cheeks is from age. Do you know how old she is?

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    based on that pic- I'd go with sable merle. she has way more color than most doubles..............

7. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Not a good photo, only showing the face.
    But my guess is sable merle. But the first thing that popped out at me, where the eye lashes,which were white.

She could be up there in age as well, so a white factored senior sheltie it may be.
    I have seen white eye lashes on some beautifully aged dogs, and also of course our Mia has white lashes as well, but she is a double merle. Blind & deaf.
    Up until Mia's 3rd birthday,she had nothing for pigment on her body. On her 3rd birthday,she developed a spot on her nose...which is now got bigger. That little black spot is quite cute. Her brother over his 3 years, has developed loads of spots on his little nose.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  8. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    No, this dog is just old. Sorry, no conspiracy theories here. My first dog (an Amish bred rescue) went almost white from his ears to nose at 8 years old. That's all this is.

9. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    Foxy Roxie is about 6 yrs old now. She just gets better every year, too :biggrin2:

10. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    This is what I'm thinking too. My 9 yr old's face is starting to whiten out as well.