Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Melli's first agility class!

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Photo Updates' started by Mom2Melli, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Melody had a blast! Only one other dog showed up (supposed to be 2-3 more) so we got super attention. We stood on the board, did ladder, table, jump, tunnel, A-frame, and tire. The only thing she didn't care for is the tunnel but soon picked it up. Everything else she really took quite bravely and well. I think she got a little tired though. Three more classes and we pick up obedience again. I think this is a good lead back into that. Going to postpone Scent as there is an overlap by two weeks and I would end up going 4 times one week then 3 times the next. That's too much being an hour form school. I was really proud of her today.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  2. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Way to go Melli, we know you are destined for greatness! :fl

3. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
  4. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    She's a bit sore today, pretty slight but I can tell. Not struggling to get up or having trouble with stairs or anything, but her energy is a little reduced today. Thinking that if the other two dogs don't show up I will have to let the young lab mix/greyhound-type go 2-to-1 on things. I also think they are putting the target/treat/lure too close to the obstacle which brings a somewhat unnatural landing rather than a straight more natural jump or descent from the A-frame for her because she bounces on things rather than bends legs. Just an observation. I know the other dog has to have things closer or she runs off due to being young and out of control, but Melli is more focused (and brighter). Will have to talk to them next week. They also fed her beggin strips for treats which she barfed up on the ride home. Not the best option for treating.

5. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    They probably are putting the target close to the end as they are expecting people to teach a 2o2o. Just a guess.
    Also, what kind of floor is that? I've never seen anything like it for agility.

6. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    This is what I was thinking as well. Definitely ask. If you have questions about why you're doing something a certain way, it doesn't help to ask.

7. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Yes, they explained with the A frame the 2 on 2 off idea. Both dogs naturally hit the contacts but yes, they were trying to go for that. Not sure why it had to be real close to the tire though which is more where Melli had the trouble stopping herself too short.

It is indoor/outdoor carpeting.

Also, my photo angle makes that tire look crazy high. It's only 2-3 inches off the floor and totals about the same or lower than the small jump height.