Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > General Health
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Feb 26, 2014, 07:12 AM

No treats and exercise, that's how I keep my dogs trim. Manufactured treats are really high in calories. If you need treats for training try cooking up a chicken breast and cut it into tiny, tiny pieces.
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
You have to move past those feelings and be firm--while the dog might "look sad" or "seem hungry", it's better for them to be at a healthy weight.
I still have to laugh. All my other dogs it's like "here's what you get, eat it, don't whine". Melody, horrifically violent with fangs and nails. That is the only reason why she is on a "diet" low calorie food for now. More bites so she doesn't kill us all However, as she gets used to the amount and the routine will be going back to our regular TOTW an slightly reducing the amount (hoping for the best).

My rule is choose a quality food and figure out what amount produces the right weight for that dog and stick with it. Melody is just an exception due to whatever her previous owners did/accepted from her.
Shaman Von Raesfeld - GSD Mix 02/06/11-- Aussies at Bridge: Quasar, Holly, & Mayson
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro View Post
No treats and exercise, that's how I keep my dogs trim. Manufactured treats are really high in calories. If you need treats for training try cooking up a chicken breast and cut it into tiny, tiny pieces.
Dry it in a food dehydrator and it will keep for a long time; plus it's easier to handle. Big pieces for snacks; smaller pieces for training. The bigger pieces help to clean the teeth because they have to be chewed.