Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Diet & Nutrition > Commercial Food
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:57 AM

In my experience, Purina makes the best veterinary foods, then Royal Canin, and the Science Diet sawdust and corn diets come last.

Both Purina and Royal Canin are vertically integrated, so they have much better control over the ingredients and processes.
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase&Connor View Post
Oh Dogcatmom, I'm sorry for your loss of Junior. How long did he live with his liver disease? Did he have any symptoms? How did you learn of the disease? Connor is such a happy active dog you would never know he has this going on. I have read that Royal Cainin food was better liked by most dogs so I am leaning towards that brand. He is on vit e now but maybe I'll try the Sam e instead. Thanks for your response! I appreciate it. Helen
Junior was diagnosed at age 7. He was on meds for the first 6 months and his levels returned to normal. One of my co-workers shows dogs and told me about milk thistle and Same. He did not go back on meds until almost age 13. He went on the food about 2 months later. We did not lose him to liver disease but he developed kidney disease quickly and went into kidney failure. Junior did not have symptoms at the time of diagnosis. We had blood work done before a dental procedure. Had we not had the blood work done we might have lost him at a younger age. I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your baby. Kim