Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Sheltie Training
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old May 6, 2014, 10:16 PM

Default Resources for Recall Training?

I trying to get a better recall. Riley was good in obedience classes but has a harder time in the real world. Riley is great outside unless there are distractions (ie the neighbor dogs). I am looking to get either Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt or Really Reliable Recall by Leslie Nelson. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?

Riley "Let The Good Times Roll" - 3/5/13 (blue merle)
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2014, 11:23 PM

They both great authors.
There will be Recallers 5.0 run in near future. It well worth it. Recall is everything and is a way of life.
Here is video from a friend but you can find tons more if you google Susan Garrett blog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jmo6OKogF4
http://www.brilliantrecalls.com/standby_pages/6380
Old May 7, 2014, 07:41 AM

Default Recall training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileys mom View Post
I trying to get a better recall. Riley was good in obedience classes but has a harder time in the real world. Riley is great outside unless there are distractions (ie the neighbor dogs). I am looking to get either Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt or Really Reliable Recall by Leslie Nelson. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?
I trained with Leslie Nelson from Tails U Win and I highly recommend her for recall training.I started my agility training there many moons ago.Leslie has a video on youtube about her recall training.
Old May 7, 2014, 08:09 PM

Control unleashed, if you can get it.
Some reason I haven't been able to get a copy around these parts, lol

One of the most important things I found when working on recall, etc is to remember that dogs don't generalize. So a recall around the neighbours dog has to be trained as if your dog never had a recall in his life, lol.
Distance to the other dog has to be big enough starting out that he can still pay attention to you, it's truly important to match the reward with the stimuli that's so much more interesting than you. Don't call if you think your dog won't come, you have to be MORE exciting, better smelling, interesting, with great food maybe and ,,pre animated and FUN than these other dogs or stimuli can ever be! But it's a trained behaviour and build on trust and understanding, can't be trained in a day, lol
In other words don't be embarrassed to maybe look foolish to the neighbours, LOLLL
Old May 8, 2014, 11:19 PM

Riley bought me Control Unleashed for mothers day. Hopefully it can help me get ideas to keep him calm in agility class, he gets really excited/out of control when he practices tunnels and chutes. I may still get the Really Reliable Recall or try the Susan Garrett class (depending on price).

I am going to go back to keeping him on a long line outside. I want to hopefully undo the habit of ignoring recalls.

Riley "Let The Good Times Roll" - 3/5/13 (blue merle)

Last edited by Rileys mom; May 8, 2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old May 9, 2014, 12:21 PM

I use cheese balls. Those bright orangy orbs of salty, fatty, deliciousness... they roll on the floor well and the bright color is easy to see.

I toss one so he moves forward to get it, then I put another on his nose and call him back (just a step or two at first) rewarding him for moving toward me.

Repeat, repeat, repeat, further, further, further... pretty soon that the "come" is so strong that he flies across the ring slamming into front. (now we are working on slowing down so he doesn't literally slam into front...)

And, I just bet you will eat some too. Just don't wipe your fingers on your best training shirt. :D