Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What colors/Markings are your favorites?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sheltie.Mama, Feb 9, 2014.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I still lean towards sables, but I love the blonde and red sables most. And sable mergles.

My timber was a maghony, but I think I like the foxier colours better.

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    We're very similar - I like bi blues the best, then tris and then bi blacks and sables last. I like a fair bit of black in coat and a full collar with a narrow blaze is a bonus. I love blue eyes. One day I will own a bi-blue with blue eyes ( hopefully a male but again that is not as important as temperament). I like a dog that stands out and is unique.

Like you temperament is number one for me. I like my shelties on the sensitive side, more reserved, and I also like them on the smaller side.

All that said Hanna is a sable merle and I think she is just stunning and getting more so every day. Couldn't have asked for more personality wise either, she is such an absolute sweetie.

3. Justme

Justme Forums Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    My boy was a really beautiful tri-color.

If I ever get another Sheltie, for sentimental reasons, I will probably get another color.

4. Laddie's Mom

Laddie's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013
    N/A
    Laddie and Bella are both the sable and white with a wee bit of black through out, but, my favourite colour is the "blue Merle" I think they are absolutely stunning.

5. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    I love a sable merle (winkwink,I had two)
    :) I love a small blaze, although one of my boys has a huge white blaze. Heck, if it's a sheltie, I love it!

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I believe we need new pix of those smerle boys:winkgrin::yes:

7. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    Flashy splashy blues. The more large patches of black, and sections of clear blue the better. That paired with a big full white collar, face blaze, and high white socks is what I like best.
    Despite having a few, I am not a fan of plain faces on any color. Least of all on bi black and sable.
    In order of color, my preference are blue merle, bi-blue, heavily tri factored sable, sable merle, tricolor, pure for sable, bi-black.
    I own all except bi-black but not intentionally. I would like to have one, but haven't found the right one.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Well, I've had a mahogany sable, a red sable, a tri.....and now I'm getting a brand spanking new sable Merle in about a month! Yippee! His coat looks gorgeous right now, but I know it will change substantially.

9. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    My eye for the colors has changed the more I have seen these past few months. I am literally to the "no color preference" point, meaning all are even. I was just thinking about this this morning.

My preference on gender has shifted too, but that's in the other thread.:rolleyes2:

10. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I'm a little biased, but I love bi-blacks. I didn't know they even existed until I started looking into getting a dog. I figured they were hard to find, but when I called a breeder and she had 2 (one being Missy), I was excited.

While I will still go for personality over color and gender, I do like the flashy blue merles with more blue than black. No blue eyes! At some point I am hoping to have a sable too... but it's going to be a while before I get another dog. My first sheltie was a tri, so there is a special place in my heart for tris.