Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Chew Toys

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by danisgoat, Jun 24, 2014.

1. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    What are you all using for chew toys for your puppies these days?

My little guy is very mouthy, much more so than my girls were. I would like to get him something to chew on that is safe.

2. ute_fan

ute_fan Forums Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    Callie really likes the "unstuffed" fur toys (fox, raccoon, etc). Since they aren't stuffed, she isn't as prone to ripping them up as she was the ones with stuffing in them. Her favorite one is a snake with multiple squeakers in it, and it's been the one that has lasted the longest. I do watch them carefully, and if she starts to desqueak them (she's a pro at it) I cut the squeaker out so there's no risk of her swallowing it.

She also likes the nylabone bones, but doesn't chew on them for very long at a time. Her very favorite is a bully stick, but I don't know that I'd give it to a puppy -- and it's very hard to find ones locally here that aren't from a foreign country.

Her latest favorite toy is a baby toy (particularly a red "A"), that goes in a shape sorter. It's hard plastic and I can't imagine why she likes it -- but I keep having to take it away to she won't destroy it.

3. MissieLynn

MissieLynn Forums Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
  4. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    I am trying to find some good toys that both of them can play with that Zak won't chew up in a day. Got a skinz and have sewn it back together once also with a kong stuffed toy!

They love to play tug and keep away with toys and nice to see Zak interested again in toys but don't like the chewing.

5. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

We have a tug that is turning out to be the best toy for Oreo. He loves to play with us and with Chloe and Dandie.

I am looking into the Benebone.

6. Rileys mom

Rileys mom Forums Enthusiast

May 6, 2013
    MN
    Riley has always loved elk antlers. I got him nylabones when he was a puppy but he started to chew pieces off of his favorite ones so I stopped the nylabones. The elk antlers last a long time, he has had the oldest pair for almost a year and still likes to chew them.