Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Performance Sports > Agility
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortegah View Post
Trax jumped 20" until he was 4 1/2 years old. It was always funny to see people's heads turn when the gate steward would call out for a Sheltie in the 20" class.

I got his challenge measurement after that and he's been jumping 16" ever since. But I'd go back to 20" if we had to. He jumps it with no problem whatsoever.
What was he measured at when he was jumping 20"?
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2013, 06:43 PM

Our KC jump heights are a bit different - there are only 3 and for 'large' dogs the height is 2 ft.6" (25.6" if my maths is correct?) I have never seen a sheltie competing at this height, which they would have to if over 17". I guess people either decide not to do agility or opt for one of the other organisations which allow for more flexibility. It does seem rather unfair to me that a dog that is just into 'Large' should have to clear more than 8" over his height whereas a dog just into 'Medium' (over 13 3/4") only has to clear 17.7" which is jumping about 4" over his own height. I would have competed with Epic in Medium if he had just measured out of small but I wouldn't want to compete in Large with a sheltie just over Medium height.

Preferred sounds like a good idea - could you perhaps start in this class and move up if it looks like it won't cause a problem?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:13 AM

For Agility Association of Canada, AAC, which most of us compete in here a dog 16 and over has to jump 22 inches!!
Dogs 21 inches tall have to jump 26 in standard...

Although Spruce, who is 16.75 is better put together than most Shelties I have seen around here, there is absolutely NO way I will jump him at 22. Never mind 16.25 inch Mr Toffee lol, who is definitely not put together like Spruce, he'd never come close to be able to jump that high safely!
I had put Toffee in specials from the start and even 16 inches for a 16 inch dog is tall enough I found! He's loving being a veteran now, and has to jump 10 inches which is going to ensure we will be doing agility for many more years :D
Old Nov 12, 2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbell View Post
What was he measured at when he was jumping 20"?
His official measurement was 18 3/8"
Flutterby Don't Take Me For Granite - "Granite"
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffee's Mom View Post
For Agility Association of Canada, AAC, which most of us compete in here a dog 16 and over has to jump 22 inches!!
Dogs 21 inches tall have to jump 26 in standard...

Although Spruce, who is 16.75 is better put together than most Shelties I have seen around here, there is absolutely NO way I will jump him at 22. Never mind 16.25 inch Mr Toffee lol, who is definitely not put together like Spruce, he'd never come close to be able to jump that high safely!
I had put Toffee in specials from the start and even 16 inches for a 16 inch dog is tall enough I found! He's loving being a veteran now, and has to jump 10 inches which is going to ensure we will be doing agility for many more years :D
Oh wow. 22 inches would be insane for a sheltie