Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

From Aussie to Sheltie

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by sclevenger, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Talk to the breeder about choosing the outgoing adventuresome pup. From the time the pup is a little one have him doing everything, climbing onto stairs, standling on wobbly things, going through tunnels, doing simple puppy safe agility in the home and yard. Build confidence from the beginning and you will be fine. It is the timid sheltered pup that doesn't want to go and do. Also, carry the puppy every place you can. Home Depots and Hobby Lobbys are great about allowing that. Some Lowe's allow it depending on state. Eat in outdoor places (like outside a Starbucks) and hold the pup on your lap or in a carrier and just allow the pup to see, hear, and smell the world. You do not have to let people touch for socialization or you can allow one or two and have them use a handi-wipe on the hands first for just a little positive interaction.

Part of what you saw with the sheltie was the less-outgoing pup of the litter and part was not working on that to overcome it as much as possible really early. The book The Art of Raising A Puppy talks a lot about the psychology of puppies and gives a test to help evaluate the pups at 6 weeks and make sure you are choosing what you want.

2. sclevenger

sclevenger Forums Regular

Dec 20, 2011
    Ohio
    Yep. Like I've said before I'm first on the list, and she will be watching the pups and knows exactly what i want.

Liked your suggestions. Thanks.