Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Tags and collars

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Cooper'sMama, Jun 3, 2014.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I second Lupine. We have had our collars and leashes for 4+ years.

I use Red Dingo pet tags. Tons of cute designs and they last as well.

I like Mad Dog Metalworks but I wonder if they would leave a grey area in the dogs' fur.

2. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I'm worried about that too (especially with a water-loving sheltie) and I probably won't be able to find a tag silencer that fits unless I get a circle shaped tag.

Forgot to add- you can also get a tag that matches your Lupine collar. I've been looking at those too.

3. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    Where do you get your braided martingale collars?!?!

4. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    How do I find out if I need/can register my dogs with the county?

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I found the info on the county website. Both mine have their county license -- basically rabies cert & proof of neuter/spay for cheap ($4 year) and unaltered is higher per year. Thing about these is if there is a bite situation, they reference the county license right away, and your dog is not quarantined if current. Also, it is another way for dog to be tracked and reunited -- tag, chip, county license. Mostly I do it for portable rabies proof.

Dog Tag Art tags DON'T leave marks on the fur even if wet and such. Just sayin. Love this company!

6. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    Mine are all in Martingale collars, which I think work well with Shelties and Collies, since their heads are smaller than their fluffy necks.

And since they are all rescues, I don't trust them in a buckle type collar. My first rescue backed out of her buckle collar and got loose (fortunately she didn't run and I just re-attached the collar).

As far as tags, mine wear lots of bling: Rabies tag, City license tag, Rescue tag, and ID tags with name, address and phone number.

However, Jonesie Dream has chewed on her tags so much that no one can read them anyway!

When the collars get dirty, I put them in a nylon netted bag and run them through the washer . . .then lay them out to dry.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  7. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Honey has a half inch thick fabric collar, with a quick release buckle. It was hard to find one, I don't like how thick all the leather collars I found was, and I didn't want anything to thin, because when she's on leash in the yard and bolts she can catch herself around the throat, but I also didn't like the 1 inch collars that were what I mostly found in her size, they mat up her hair.

I also insisted on finding one with a metal buckle, because she used to have a plastic one, and when she saw a horse go by she snapped that think faster than I could blink.

I have tags for her collar and harness with my info on them. I don't hang her rabies and her microchip info on them, I don't like her having to much stuff on it, and I figure if she's loose and someone miraculously manages to catch her, most vets and all shelters will scan for the microchip.

I have to say I do like the idea of having a decorative tag made so I can have it to carry when she passes (ideally years and years and years and years from now)...I might go get a nice one made up.

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    The answer from the GSD people who are talking about this (they must be psychic how often they talk about the same thing).

Petsafe KeepSafeĀ® Dog Collar -- They DO have various widths and various colors. The big A carries them online. Apparently, if you want to use as a collar or need to grab it quick you can grab the TWO D rings which negates the breakaway-ness. Put tags on the one D ring and they will breakaway with some effort.

That will be top of my list to order for the puppy. I may just do the same for the other two dogs.

9. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    My two wear nylon & chain Martingale-style collars, with three tags;their ID tag w/our info, their rescue group ID tags, and their township license tag. Both rescue groups requested they keep their rescue group tags on so we've always left those on their collars. They wear their collars 24/7.

Last week I ordered a freedom no-pull harness for Forrest, he'll wear that only on walks obviously.

10. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    I use a very light chain collar for Dickens. It's just right, doesn't show from underneath the ruff, and holds his ID tag, rabies tag and license tag.