Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bleeding from Butt - HGE

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Caro, Apr 15, 2012.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Caro-I am so glad to hear that Deska is doing okay. What a scary experience.

Thanks for sharing so that we can all be on the lookout for it.

2. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    Caro, that is very terrifying. I'm sorry you had to go through this and I am glad Deska is okay. I'm sending you my thoughts for a perfect recovery.

3. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Ditto what Danielle said! Thanks so much for sharing, I've never heard of this before and probably would have gone into hysterics if my dog was passing that much blood.

I'm so sorry that you had to go through such a tough, scary experience! But so glad that he's doing better and on the mend!

Wow, just wow. :eek2:

Thank goodness you happened to have everything you needed. Your head must have been just spinning by the time you got home.

4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Bailey had HGE after we took a 3 hour trip to Connecticut when she was one years old.

It is absolutely terrifying to see your dog poop nothing, but blood. That was the one and only time Bailey refused to eat, so I knew it was serious.

Because of this I am afraid to take Bailey on trips longer than 90 mins and I am so scared to take her any place over night.

I'm glad Deska is on the mend. Hope he is feeling better!

Is there a link to HGE and long distance trips? Because Deska, Justice and Bailey all developed HGE when they were away from home.

5. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Good question! I wouldn't have thought so but it seems like a strange coincidence that all three of these pups had this occur during long trips.

6. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    surprised that y'all would say that you have never heard of HGE before.
    I know that the first time that I heard of it was on here a while back- searching on HGE did not bring up any threads strangely since it's in the title of at least two threads.
    I did, on a quick look, find this thread from last year- (there may be others but not enough time to look at work): http://www.sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=10311

8. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I have no memory of that, even though I commented in the thread. Maybe it was so horrible that I blocked it from my mind? :confused2:

9. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Mally had HGE when he was younger, and almost died.

His cousin (not blood) had HGE a year before and he is 1 year older than Mally.

10. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Poor Deska hope you get back to 110% soon.

Signed
    Team S