Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Can't decide....

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by ellenspn, Jul 18, 2014.

1. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    Do I start the last two dogs (Ribbon and Shiloh, one of my aussies) on duck which means I need to find a source of boneless duck, or do I start them on chicken which needs I need to go out and buy everything, chicken, chicken liver, chicken gizzards. :eek2:

2. Pack leader

Pack leader Forums Regular

Jul 21, 2014
    Indiana
    I use chicken but duck would work to I would think. I don't feed mine raw I put it on the smoker then debone and chop it up. My boys are 10 & -5 weeks. I mix with steemed veggies and rice.

3. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    may I ask why boneless? The best part of raw feeding is the bones, great exercise for the jaw and cleans the teeth really well!

4. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    I'm feeding Blue Ridge Beef ground duck and that is a bit on the boney side. Ribbon will only end up getting about 6 oz of food (depending on her weight) while Shiloh, the aussie will get about 12 oz. I have duck hearts and liver to mix with it, but not enough boneless duck to balance out the bone in the BRB Duck.

5. Liza0714

Liza0714 Forums Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    I fed my border collie chickens, bone in, (as well as veggie/organ "patties") for the entire 16+ years of her life.

I never really thought about ducks as I am assuming they must have been very expensive (is it?) while chickens can be gotten pretty cheap (and go a long way).

I am actually nervous to start my new sheltie on real raw food and have her on a dehydrated, raw type diet. I am worried that her smaller size will make it harder for her to get through the thicker chicken bones my BC mix just plows right through. I am thinking about switching though as her teeth at 2 yo are not as good as my much older BC mix's teeth.