Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Diseases & Illnesses
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Nov 15, 2013, 09:50 AM

My Vet had only seen it causing paralysis in shelties twice in his life...yup once was with one of mine...she had been on it (low dose) for a year when it caused paralysis...the only good thing with it is that its temporary, once you notice a problem you stop it and within a few days they have it out of their system..

I thought with mine she had a spinal stroke as she was run over by another dog a few days before, and started to experience rear end weakness. We did xrays and lab work we only put two and two together when she would spontaneously recover about 1am when it would start to work out of her system.
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2013, 12:11 AM

Metronidazole can cause neurological issue in any breed that is one of the potential side effects. It is usually dose dependent. If the dose is under 25mg/kg this side effect is very rare. Has nothing to do with MDR1.

I have seen it once in my career a 12 weeks Lab puppy. She started walking backwards. Stop the meds and she was normal in less then 24 hours.

For the record, Metronidazole is one of the most common use meds I have RX literally thousands and thousands of dog(any and all breeds) I have put on this med and 1 case of neurological issues. but one must be aware that it is a possibility.
At the bridge forever in my heart-UCH UAGII Diva CDX MX MXJ OF RA