Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

3yr. old in HIGH KILL SHELTER IN CA.

Discussion in 'Rescue Chat' started by dawns2shelties, Sep 2, 2011.

1. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

Thanks Dawn I was really worried when I saw this and was on my way out so I knew people here at the forum would help this guy out.

2. MissSuzie

MissSuzie Forums Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008
    Beautiful SW Florida
    Oh, look at his face! Dawn thank you for following up on him and keeping us all posted. Hopefully one of the rescues will contact you soon. A holiday weekend could have them away from their phones. :(

3. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

Dawn I rec'd an email from the woman who origionally posted this. She said it is good you are going to check daily about this pup. She said you may be able to put a hold on the pup the night before it is to be released to the public if an owner doesn't claim it and also said that the day they release it to the public it may be scheduled to be put to sleep within a few hours. The pup she rescued from there last month was scheduled to be PTS 3hrs. after it was to be reased to the public. It's chilly to think they act so quickly. Sending prayers your way and thanks so much again for helping. Praying this baby makes it out alive.

4. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    OMG...I am planning to be at the shelter Tuesday morning when they open. I will call again tomorrow to see if the owner has turned up. I have a friend who will go wth me and we are prepared to bring him home. I still haven't heard anything from the 3 people I contacted at the sheltie rescue. I can't imagine why not one of them has responded. Even if they let me know they can't do anything, I'd know I was on my own. If this baby is put down, I am going to feel like a total failure....it just cannot happen! I think I may drive up there tomorrow to see if I can accomplish more in person.

5. nbrard

nbrard Forums Enthusiast

This is so wonderful of you to do. Sending all my positive energy and prayers that this will work out for the best.

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Wow it sounds like you better stay on top of it, if they put them down within hours of being "released". Good god it's hard to believe. Sorry you haven't heard from Sheltie Rescue but thank goodness you are willing to take matters into your own hands. I would do the same!

7. Noneeds4me

Noneeds4me Forums Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2009
    Southern California
    I just saw this post, and what a loss for someone out there! BREAKS my heart! Maybe they're on a last of the summer vacation before school begins. You'd think someone would miss him by now! Devore isn't that close to Rialto..certainly NOT walking distance at all. I wonder how he ended up in Devore rather than San Bernardino? Maybe that's where all the animals are taken..I don't know?

FYI...I have sent Southland Sheltie Rescue several e-mails in the past regarding shelties in the Orange County Shelter and they always respond asap for the pup, but not necessarily with a reply e-mail to me.. Whenever I've contacted the shelter..I'm told SSR is on it. I'm not sure how far their fingers reach...if they routinely check the Devore area, but I say they're excellent at helping these lost puppers! With a message being left for everyone possible...someone most likely has received it and is taking action. Good idea to have a back up plan though!

8. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Dawn, you are right about being there when they open. I pray you can get the poor dog out of there and then get it to rescue if need be. I am crying over all the other poor dogs over there.

9. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    Here's an update: I just called the shelter. They have not been contacted by sheltie rescue, but they have "a few" names on a list of people who are interested in him. I am one of those names. I still feel like I need to drive up there to see how he is doing and talk to the shelter people in person. I'll update after I do that. I want to find out how well they will screen people who may potentially adopt him.

10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    they seem to be a first come first serve kind of place (I spent some time on the webpage for the local animal control).

not sure I'd trust the whole names on a list bit. and I doubt they screen at all (with a 4 day adoption period, I'm not thinking do much beyond manage the numbers)

better safe than sorry.