Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Puppies 101
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Aug 3, 2014, 07:26 PM

Default Garden/cover suggestions for dirt digger

Bailey (7 Months)loves to run in my gardens & dig in the dirt ( more concerned about him running in the garden than digging since we catch him most of the time). He is never left alone in the yard for more than a few minutes to do his business( I normally watch him every minute however my husband & kids will let him out & not always pay close attention to what he is doing). My husband put some thick rubber outdoors mats over the main garden he loves to run in which stops him from digging & also keeps him out of the mud if rainy. We also have a maple tree that grass won"t grow under due to the large roots and mud gathers there as well.

So looking for suggestions to cover the base of our tree and garden. Don/t think any kind of mulch would work since Bailey would likely just eat it. We were thinking about larger stones around the tree & in the garden, just not sure if that would harm/kill our shrubs? Or if Bailey might try to eat the rocks ( although he doesn't seem too interested in the rocks around our hottub)

Any suggestions for dog friendly ways to cover our garden ( other than fencing)

Thanks

Last edited by SueEllen; Aug 3, 2014 at 07:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2014, 09:23 PM

I have used "chicken wire" buried about 1+" below the surface. When they dig and run into the wire it is irritating to their feet which will eventually train them that digging = pain. The plants grow right through and after a few years, it rusts and goes away.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:12 PM

That is what my daughter uses for her corgi to protect her veggie garden ( else he helps himself) and so far it's working really well.

Mom to Hanna ( smerle born June 3, 2013)
Old Aug 4, 2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexan View Post
I have used "chicken wire" buried about 1+" below the surface. When they dig and run into the wire it is irritating to their feet which will eventually train them that digging = pain. The plants grow right through and after a few years, it rusts and goes away.
I did use chicken wire as well... worked like a charm!