Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bunny hunting

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Sheltie4, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    Well, maybe some Marigolds would look pretty around the shed.

Oh, don't even get me started on how much rabbit poop my dogs eat out of the grass :(

I will also add that my dogs have not tracked down any more rabbits since Jonesie's big kill . . . I can only hope they are gone!

2. Junebug

Junebug Forums Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    USA
    I'm confused on why you dosed the dog with peroxide. Was the intent to make her vomit? I know it works, as I've had to do it before, but it triggered an expensive case of pancrititis. I guess I don't understand why you didn't let the dog enjoy its spoils of war. I mean, some people do feed raw, and it was bunny....

3. ute_fan

ute_fan Forums Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    Can I join in? Anyone have any natural hints for gophers? We've had problems with them, and the last few years it's gotten worse. We had one in the yard a couple of weeks ago -- that must not have had it's burrow dug out yet, and Callie found it and was barking up a storm, and we could see her going after it but she didn't catch it. It was more like she was playing with it :uhoh:.

I don't think we have bunnies anywhere in my neighborhood, so I'm safe from those, but I HATE the gophers.

4. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    I've heard that setting up a life-sized plastic owl will often keep little critters away. Or a life-sized plastic Sheltie, if you're an owl owner.

5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Why would you cut back on those wonderful tasty tasty things called bunnies? You could send them here so I could eat them.

Signed
    Sca

PS NO I will not share them with Spitfire

6. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I had never considered the Chives being dangerous, I'll have to watch to make sure none of the animals nibble on my patches! I know they like the decorative grass I have near them, so hopefully it's enough of a distraction. Honey's pretty good not snacking on my herbs and veggies...I know I warn all my friends who grow tomatoes to keep the dogs away from them, the leaves especially are dangerous and I know something about them encouraged my moms dogs to fetch them off the plant for her. (tomatoes = extra yummy tennis balls?)

My friend Brian thinks I'm overreacting when I jump on Honey to stay away whenever tomato slices fall to the floor, but I don't want to take a chance on her developing a taste for them!

7. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City

I don't feed raw and didn't want Jonesie getting sick in my house. I also wonder if the rabbit killed was possibly ill, as they can usually outrun my dogs.

I just didn't want to take a chance.

I only gave Jonesie the minimum dose of Peroxide to make her vomit, but I appreciate the warning about Pancreaitis.

8. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    As a raw feeder, I can't get angry with the boys doing what nature intended. However, I was not pleased with the $30 charge for the Drontal plus when they got a good case of at least tapeworm from eating that darn bunny!

Weighing in on toxic plants--Garlic seems to have as many supporters as detractors. It appears for the most part dogs would have to eat a huge amount of garlic for it to cause harm. Many believe in small amounts it has benefits to dogs as well as us humans.

Tomatoes are a favorite in this house. The fruit isn't poisonous, according to Pet Poison Helpline.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/2011/09/are-tomatoes-poisonous-to-dogs/