Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Rescue transportation volunteer registry (proposed)

Discussion in 'Rescue Chat' started by mmcginty, Apr 14, 2012.

1. mlamont

mlamont Forums Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010
    PA
    This is great! I can't wait to see the initail pages go up.

This is such a worthwhile cause, as transport can be a real hurdle when getting a sheltie into rescue or into a new forever home. I have noted in other posts that I can transport within the western PA, eastern OH and northern W VA areas. Getting this organized and a network of people together can really bridge the gaps between rescues and potential adopters. It would be cool to see a map with 'shaded' areas of transport coverage so we can see who can link up with who.

This won’t come without some issues though. Most rescues do have their own transport, but in many cases this is limited. We can help to fill in the gaps. Some rescues may also have some reservations about releasing their dogs to folks they don’t know, but when options are limited this should be something we can overcome. This is a great way we can continue to help. Sign me up!

2. mlamont

mlamont Forums Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010
    PA

These are the areas I can offer transport for. This is just an example map.

Attached Files:

3. mmcginty

mmcginty Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2011
    That would be cool...

For the initial maps integration, this is what I had in mind. Take a look at this map of a make-believe trip from Los Angeles, CA to Albuquerque, NM.

http://g.co/maps/yxu7u

The car markers represent volunteer drivers. If you right-click the marker in LA and choose 'directions from', then right-click the marker in Albuquerque and choose 'directions to', it will draw a route over I-40. But you can click on [and hold down the button] the line at any point along that route, and drag it around the map. Here's a screen cap demo:

http://youtu.be/EqrEpAzKxcs

So after the end points are established the software would add available volunteers to the map, and a user would drag the route to accomodate.

It's not much, but the action would setup a list of those in a position to help, and since I plan to map those points based on zip code, that list would potentially include multiple possibilities at any given point.

That's all true, but it occurs to me that the dogs that are already in the hands of a rescue are out of danger. The dogs with a time-critical need are the ones that are in pounds, or other facilities that must use euthanasia to service their space limitations.

Those are the dogs I think we should focus on as a first priority. Correct me if I'm wrong, but such facilities typically don't require anything beyond their fees to release an animal.

In that light, my concerns about someone along the way absconding with a dog, all but fade away -- even worst case, the dog is out of the pound and in the hands of someone who went to at least some effort to get it.

And as for filling in gaps for rescues... if we could entice the rescues into using our system as an extension to their own, that would be huge in terms of exposure and credability.

From my experience, the rescues... [how can I put this delicately]... seem to lack an abundance of high-tech tools. Whether that's an advantage to our system is difficult to say... some of them I know are that way by choice, getting those to think outside the box takes more than even the most compelling technology.

4. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I'll keep checking back for updates. I like the idea of this, will help if I can, but since I work some crazy hours, not sure how much I can help. And besides, most transports seem to come from east coast to central areas. Not from CA.

Love the website name. I think it's perfect.

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Oh my gosh - has Dawn seen the name of the transport? What a wonderful way to honor true dedication to a Sheltie. Fabulous.

I would definitely participate. We are about 90 miles north of LA.

I agree that transport out of shelters who euthanize when full would be the first priority.

You two tech guys are off and running - I think it's WONDERFUL!!!!

PS My DH thought it should be called the "Sheltie Shuttle" :biggrin2:

6. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I think an application fee would help. Also, registering license plates of cars that would be transporting dogs would help because if you do have someone being dishonest, it would be easy to track them down. Also, as an alternative to an application fee, what about a criminal background check?

7. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    i am pretty useless as a transport. more then pretty useless, but anyways, i could help other ways, if there will be a way to maybe add funds to go for gas and such ?
    and i know with Hope, the shelter there just was asking for the 20 dollar fee to adopt

8. mmcginty

Jul 11, 2011
    That's awesome, thanks for the encouragement!

9. mmcginty

Jul 11, 2011
    Very good -- there will be several aspects that don't involve driving, any level of assistance/support is welcome.

10. mmcginty

Jul 11, 2011
    At each point the dog changes hands the person handing it over will need to log the license plate of the other, a show of ID, and a photo of vehicle and driver would be good touches too... Maybe I'll write an Android app to make it painless.

Those criminal background checks are a little pricey... and I think unnecessary, as I mentioned in another post, worst case, the dog is still out of the pound, and if the person that took it, wanted it bad enough to cheat this system... it's not quite ok with me, but pretty darn close -- it beats the dog being euthanized, hands down.

Good thought, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012