Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

stiff joints?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by JacqueZ, Feb 18, 2014.

1. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Honey isn't even three yet, but when she gets up from a long nap she hobbles like a senior. She tore something in her leg last year, but that seems to have healed up, and its not always the leg that gets favored...

She did this last winter as well, even before tearing the tendon, is it normal in shelties? Other than when she first gets up she tears around full energy without a care in the world the rest of the time.

I give her zoom chews, is there anything else that promote strong joints?

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    You didn't mention which tendon she tore. Did the vet take x-rays to confirm the diagnosis? A lot of times vets diagnose knee issues in small dogs when there's an underlying problem dysplasia or arthritis. Even the best vets can do this - Tully's ortho vet missed her extremely arthritic hip when she diagnosed the shoulder injury. She only xrayed the shoulders because laxity in ligaments shows up readily on manipulation, whereas dysplasia and arthritis doesn't. Yes she had a shoulder injury, but it was the result of a bad hip. Was another 6mths of worsening limping before we did an xray of the hips, and a little later we checked the knees just in case.

I would definitely have it checked by a vet, an orthopaedic vet if you can afford it. It does sounds very much like arthritis secondary to dysplasia. Deska was diagnosed with arthritis (degenerative joint disease) in his elbows at 3yrs old and had been showing signs for around 6 mths (took a while for the diagnosis). It's really important to get an early diagnosis so you can start a regime to reduce the degeneration - injections, exercise and dietary.

And yes they can still run like the wind when they are sore, adrenalin is good at masking pain and often the pain only kicks in at night when the muscles relax. Deska continued doing flyball for several years and will still chase bicycles, heck Tully chased some kangaroos yesterday and she's getting a new hip.

3. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I had no idea that dogs could get arthritis so early! Hmm...what did the vet say she tore...I want to say it was the ACL, but it wasn't ever written down on her paperwork, and the name he used when talking was immediately confused in my head as soon as I left.

She never got x-rayed for it, but the vet said that you could feel the shift in the way the let moved which would only be caused by that injury.

When she was about 6 months she fell off the cat tree and was limping from that for a few hours too. My vet at the time recommended half a baby asprin and to bring her in if it continued. I've since wondered if that wasn't more serious than he thought...

4. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    In people, arthritis can develop in a joint after an injury. I would suspect it is the same for a dog. I would have the vet check your dog out just to be safe and get X-rays as Caro suggested.

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I just want to chime in to second Caro's info. The best thing I did for my dog when she was limping was take her to (several) recommended ortho vets. It's a bit pricier, but well worth it.

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    The shifting feeling does usually mean knee (cruciate). Arthritis can result from a cruciate tear, and cruciate problems can occur due to dysplasia, worth checking if you can.