Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Chelsea is a new angel

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by lasheltie, Jun 15, 2014.

1. lasheltie

lasheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012
    I had rescued her back in 2008 & she stayed with me about a year. My good family friend came over & met her. It was love for both of them. She went to live with them in Iowa & they would come back & forth to Louisiana to visit family. It was always special to see her & how well loved she was. She always seemed to remember me too.

While she was in Louisiana about 2 months ago she stopped eating & wasn't acting right. Her owner took her to the vet & they said she was diabetic with out of whack levels. So they got that ok & put her on insulin. Things improved & a few weeks ago they went back to Iowa. He called me last week & said she had stopped eating so he took her to the vet. They said she had kidney issues & put her on an IV. It helped some but the kidney levels weren't good & then her blood count tanked.

Even with all our prayers & medical help she passed away last night. He is devastated. He's in his 80s & she was his best buddy going everywhere with him. It has broken both our hearts but she is not suffering & had a safe & happy life with him. She was 9 so we hoped he'd have her for a few more years. She dies in his arms knowing she was loved & I do believe we will all meet up again. That will truly be heaven.

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm sorry for your and your friend's loss of Chelsea. Nine is just way too young. Hugs to you for rescuing her and finding her a good loving home. You know she was grateful.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm so sorry to hear about Chelsea and her owner. 80 is a tough time in life to lose a dog, not that it's ever easy. Thankfully she had happy years in her time with both of you. Please send him our sympathy, and hugs to both of you. :hugs

4. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I am so sorry...losing a little one is devastating and especially so for an older person who might not have family near...these little souls become the focus and joy of their lives. Chelsea was so very lucky to be that loved.

Please extend my deepest sympathy to your friend and my sympathy to you too...hopefully shared memories of the good times with Chelsea will bring some comfort to you both.

Trin

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  5. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Chelsea sounds like a wonderful girl, that was able to have a wonderful life. I thank you and your friend for giving Chelsea that.

I am so very sorry to hear about her passing.

My heart and prayers go out to both you and your friend.

ps Do you think your friend will get another sheltie? We have a friend, Carl, in his mid 80's who did just that. He lost Buddy, was devastated, and not long after adopted Pogo. What joy Pogo has brought him. Pogo has helped Carl to heal that broken heart. Our Don says, wherever Carl goes, Po"goes". When you see them together they are both smiling!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  6. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Prayers for your friend during this sad time

7. lasheltie

lasheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012
    Thanks so much for the love & prayers. I knew you would understand. So many people think "it's just a dog" but to us they are as special as our 2 legged family. I am hoping he will want another dog to keep him company. He's supposed to come back down here in August so I'll be on the lookout for another special sheltie.

Ann, remember Bailey from CT? This group helped me get her & London down here after their owners passed away. I was thinking maybe Bailey might be someone to let him visit with when he comes here. She is small like Chelsea but more active & just as sweet. I would hate to part with her but Leo has been a 2nd father since I was in 10th grade. I know she would be as loved with him as she would be here.

I looked up at the stars last night when walking London & Bailey after I got the news & there was a really bright star shining above us with several other stars nearby. I prayed that my other sheltie angels would welcome Chelsea & watch over her til we could all be together again. That will be my Heaven.

8. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    I am so sorry to hear of your friends' loss of Chelsea, that is never easy at any age. Hopefully he will grieve for the short while and then welcome a new baby in, as I say, not to replace but in place of. Please give your friend my sympathy's and that he is in m thoughts and prayers. RIP little Chelsea. :cry: