Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

USDAA Moving-up Question

Discussion in 'Agility' started by k9kreationz, Apr 5, 2012.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    So, I'm in P1. I know I need 3 Standards and 1 of Gamblers, Snooker, and Jumpers to get my title.

But, I also know you can move up, as long as you have 3 Q's in any of the aforementioned classes.

Is there any reason for me not to move up? I will still get my title as soon as I complete the requirements right? Or did I completely read the rules wrong? I wish they'd make them more clear. lol.

2. ortegah

ortegah Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I wonder the same thing. USDAA is the most confusing venue and it tends to be quite frustrating.

3. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    At least I'm not alone in this. lol.

4. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I recall asking this question at some point but it may have been in a PM to Ashley instead of an actual post. Unfortunately, I don't remember her answer and deleted the PM. :eek:

Personally, I'm just treating it like very other venue and completing all the necessary Q's for each class at each level. With the exception of Jumpers, I only need 1 more Q in Pairs, Standard and Gamblers for those P1 titles. Jumpers I need 2 more Qs because I've only competed once in Jumpers in USDAA.

We tend to offer a Snooker class both trial days so those are possible to finish faster. In fact, next weekend we get to run our first PII Snooker course.

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Depends on your dog. For Bentley I would have been hesitant to move up in all classes after 3 Qs in Standard because of his skill level in specific classes (like Gamblers, for example). But with Lexi I don't hesitate to move up as soon as we can.

I know that she can compete at a Masters level, it's just a question of getting the Qs to get us there. No point in hurrying to move up if you don't have the skills required.

So for those of you competing in the higher levels in other venues, I wouldn't hang around in Starters in USDAA.

The only caution I would give is to make sure that you understand the rules to the games before moving up. This is especially true for snooker and it only gets more complicated. I think there's no substituting for getting out there and running it.

6. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Hmmm....

Ashley, is there any reason not to move Koji up, say in Snooker or Jumpers? Obviously I know he's not great at Gamblers and even if we get our one Q in P1, it doesn't mean he'll ever get anything in P2. I honestly don't know if I'd ever make it to P3 Gamblers. But I could get there for everything else.

Not sure if it's worth it to go for a title first, then move up. I don't mind too much playing in P1 sometimes. Other times, I feel guilty. lol. Maybe I should move Koji up in his strong areas...Jumpers and Snooker, and let him work at the rest in P1. I don't think I do enough USDAA to really move up fast anyways. Especially since you the trials I've been, except for Standard, many games you do just once during the weekend.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  7. daph

daph Forums Regular

Sep 15, 2011
    Vienna, Austria
    Is there any website explaining all the titles (and things like Gambler/Snooker/Jumpers etc.) you can achieve in the US?

8. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
  9. daph

daph Forums Regular

Sep 15, 2011
    Vienna, Austria
    Thank you. :smile2:

10. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Cheryl provided you with the USDAA rules but the rules can vary by venue. In the US we have many different venues to choose from.

I think I'll start a new thread on this rather than take over Cheryl's on USDAA move-ups.

I know Edan can also compete at Master's level in USDAA; I've run Master's courses at run thrus.

Right now I'm 1 Q away from the PI titles for everything except Jumpers, which I'm 2 Qs away because I've only run PI Jumpers once, and Snooker which I'm in PII.

If I am understanding the rules correctly, 1 more Q in Standard and I'll have the PD title (3 Std Qs plus 1 Q in every non-standard event under at least 2 different judges) I can move up to Advanced in everything regardless of whether or not I've earned the SPG, SPJ, or SPR; correct?

The other thing that confuses me is the "Standard class: Minimum of two different judges; Nonstandard class: Minimum of two different judges (one of which must be different from two of the judges under which the Standard Q were earned." rule. I will have earned all Qs under 3 different judges however I have Standard and Non-standard Q's in all classes under each of those judges. Does that still qualify me for the PD or will have have to wait another try and not enter Standard so I have Non-Standard Q's under a judge I don't have Std Q's under?

:gaah I hate the USDAA rules at times.