Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sandi has been vomiting all day today :(

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Sandi'sMom, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Sandi'sMom

Sandi'sMom Forums Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I have no idea what has caused her vomiting.:confused2: She vomited a few times few hours apart from each other. She acts quite active, but I am worried... If she vomits one more time we will def. take her to the vet tomorrow.

Apparently her liver is affected , and something made her nauseated. :cry:
    We give her good quality pellets, green beans and expensive Wellness brand meat. Tonight I will feed her only pellets for dinner and watch what happens. (I usually add some meat to pellets for dinner too). I suspect she might grab something on the ground while hubby walked her to bathroom. :(

My question is - is there anything we can do today to help her condition?
    Please let me know if you know.
    Thanks a lot in advance.

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    You might try giving her Pepsid (famotidine) to see if that helps settle her tummy...a 10 mg tablet would be safe to use.

Trini

3. Sandi'sMom

Aug 24, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Thank you Trini. Is this med for humans? Is it safe to give to the dog???

4. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    When we have vomiting (or diarrhea) around here, I usually withhold food and limit water for at least half a day and the reintroduce after we've had several hours without incident... with three cats and a dog, we have to do this on a more regular basis that I would like.

I can't comment on any OTC meds though that might help.

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Yes, it is a med you can get at any drug store or most grocery stores that have OTC drugs and it is safe for dogs. Our vet put both our Pixie and our Timmy Timbit on it due to vomiting from too much tummy acid. This may not be Sandi's issue, but the Pepsid won't hurt her and it might help.

Trini

6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    This happens to Hollie once. We had to take her to the vet b/c the vomiting wouldn't stop. Turned out that she got sick from one of the feral cats. They gave her a shot to stop the vomiting and antibiotics. We had to withhold food and give minimal water until the vomiting stopped. Then just a bland diet of rice and chicken for a few days.

Sure enough a few days later I did find cat feces in my flower bed that was full of worms:gaah

We a also gave her Pepcid when she had her gallbladder issues.

7. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Vomiting by itself is too vague a symptom to determine just what's wrong. Definitely take her to the vet if it's not better within a reasonably short time.

8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    For now, I would withhold dog food. Keep her hydrated though and give her small drinks of water. If she's OK overnight, give her some boiled, shredded chicken breast if you have any mixed with white rice. You can also make white rice and mix it with chicken baby food (the small jars) or some chicken broth. I wouldn't give her anything but that until she's been OK for at least 24 hours.

9. Sandi'sMom

Aug 24, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Thank you so much Ann. I WILL follow your advice. Will buy chicken breast tom. , cook it and will give with rice. Will not give dog's food for 24 hours.

10. Sandi'sMom

Aug 24, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Mignarda, many thanks for your response. We sure will watch her next 24 hours. In the meantime I will not feed her any dog food at that time.

If she continues vomiting we will take her to the doc.
    No doubt about it.