Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Diseases & Illnesses
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Apr 8, 2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
That's great news, Trini! Keeping fingers crossed for you here too.
Thanks, Ann. :)

BTW How did the shows go last Friday/Saturday? I had hoped to drive over to the Springfield one, but just too much going on here to get away for the day.

Trini
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2014, 08:22 AM

The shows were great, Trini! We'll catch up with you one of these days I hope. Ruffles placed in all four shows and performed like a champ. When she gets bored standing around in the ring waiting for the other puppies to be judged on the table, she looks up and me and barks -- one sharp bark, as if to say "what are we waiting for?" or "where's the cheese??" Hah, no lack of confidence there!

Next week we're off to the National in St. Louis. I'm looking forward to seeing how she does on the big stage. We're only up against 120 other puppies. I'd better bring lots of cheese!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
The shows were great, Trini! We'll catch up with you one of these days I hope. Ruffles placed in all four shows and performed like a champ. When she gets bored standing around in the ring waiting for the other puppies to be judged on the table, she looks up and me and barks -- one sharp bark, as if to say "what are we waiting for?" or "where's the cheese??" Hah, no lack of confidence there!

Next week we're off to the National in St. Louis. I'm looking forward to seeing how she does on the big stage. We're only up against 120 other puppies. I'd better bring lots of cheese!
WTG, Ruffles...you are making your Mom so proud!!! :) Love Ruffles attitude...too funny!

Ann, you must be beyond excited about the Nationals!! Keep us posted...we will be cheering for you and Ruffles big time!

Trini
Old Apr 25, 2014, 09:29 PM

I have a 7 year Aussie who started having seizures at age 4. Seizures in Aussies are notoriously difficult to maintain with medications, and he has been on a ton of meds. However, he has been seizure free for a little over a year now (knock on wood!) and we are weaning him off the gabapentin. He was getting 300mg every 8 hours, and is down to 100mg twice a day. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks he will be completely off. He also was on pheno and weaned off that last fall. He currently is also on Zonisamide, Kepra and Potassium Bromide. Once we have him of gabapentin, next we will wean off zonisamide.

My dog has blood work twice a year and so far all is well. My vet had recommended gabapentin and zonisamide because they are least harmful on the liver, but the gabapentin made my dog so ataxic, we decided to try something else so we could get him off of it. That's when we added Kepra and it's the only medication he's been on that he has not had a seizure. Wish we knew if it was THAT med or a combination. I guess as we lower/eliminate, we'll find out.