Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

So..do Bi-blacks have a distinct personality? Do tell??

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by mbfrench, Sep 28, 2012.

1. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Are they differant on any level? Personality,attentiveness. Are they easy or difficult.

How rare are they? Or are they not? I know a bunch of questions. But I was just doing some reading on AOAC and I thought I would ask. Since in 4 days...Blake will be home.

2. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    well my little bi-black girl is a spitfire!! She is smart and always on the go! I have to put the agility equipment up when she is pregnant because she will try and do the jumps and teeter.

3. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Ok...so in the column "spitfires"..I shall place a check mark!

4. Georgie'sMom

Georgie'sMom Forums Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Ohio
    Our George is a bi-black, cute as a button and ornery as all get out. Talks more than Gracie. So full of energy he makes me tired watching him. If he doesn't get two lonnnng walks every day, he paces and paces. And he made the cutest little puppies with a blue merle girl-the little male looked just like him! I had to resist like crazy not to become a 3-sheltie home!

5. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    I'd say they can vary across all personality types. I've had two. Both were sent to me with assurances from the owners that their temperaments were fine. Neither ones temperament was fine. Both were so backward and spooky as to be near impossible to take out in public.I have neither of those dogs now, as that is not something I can use for an agility dog, nor am I willing to fight with it when I have plenty here who are more than happy to work.

Maruna likes this.
  6. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I haven't noticed any major differences between Missy the bi-black and Jasmine the tri (sheltie angel). I do think Missy has a bit more energy than Jasmine did. But so far she's not nearly as stubborn. I guess the biggest difference is Missy likes water and I would consider her an "all-terrain sheltie". Jasmine wouldn't even go potty outside if it was raining! It's really hard to tell because Missy is still very much a puppy.

7. dblock

dblock Forums Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011
    philadelphia
    This kind of sounds like the age old question of do blondes have more than Brunetts:uhoh::eek2:

I don't know, I think all dogs, just like all people are individuals and will all have their each unique personality. This is why they are individual. this does not make them either bad, or good.

Some pups, are fast, some are slow, some like to cuddle, some won't let you touch them. Some want to play with other dogs, some don't

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Ok....I must be asleep and missed the post....."Blake will be home"? Are you truly getting another pup! OMG!

I know it makes no sense but I do believe that Tri's and Bi's do have different personalities from sables. I've no basis to quantify it or explain it, it almost seems like Sheltie Tri's and Bi's contain more of the gene apparent in border collies. They just seem to generally have more "something"

Yeah, not terribly helpful....I know!

9. PamG

PamG Forums Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    Sunny is easy going, quiet and sweet. Mostly she likes to sprawl on the bed with her feet up catching the air conditioning. She loves to be really close. She loves to catch food and play ball. It's a good thing too. Her eyes are as dark as the black fur on her face, so I wouldn't be able to tell where she is looking for her next bit of mischief.
    I am very thankful that she is laid back because Snow, a CHW, is an absolute dynamo.

Have fun with Blake...quite stunning.

Pam and Sunny and Snow

10. bi-blacks

bi-blacks Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2012
    Winnipeg, Mb. Canada
    We have 2 bi-blacks and we think they are different. We've had tris and sables, no merles though. 1 male, 1 female who is very hyper and reactive and both are very vocal compared to our others. At first we just figured it might be different breeders but have decided that that doesn't fit as some of their other dogs do not behave this way.

Best wishes with your new boy. We love our 2 no matter what and I'm sure you will too.

Janet, mom to Meadow (4) and Reno (2)