Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Violent Behavior

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Sheltie.Mama, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Sheltie.Mama

Sheltie.Mama Forums Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    Today, I put all my dogs outside to use the restroom. I heard a yelp coming from Shay, and so I ran outside to see what was going on. I didn't see anything, so I just comforted my shaking puppy. When I went back inside, about 5 minutes later I heard a horrible yelp that was not stopping! So I ran outside and I saw Tarra with her teeth to Shay's throat, and Shay on her back. This was not play, this was a full blown fight! How should I handle this? This is not at all like Tarra, so maybe she is sick or??:confused2:

2. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    How old is Shay, is her puppy license possibly expiring? Was she annoying Tarra to the point of her giving her the biggest set down, ever?
    Without knowing what set whom off, there really isn't much you can do.
    Watch the interactions, don't let them out together unless you can supervise if need be

3. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    I agree w/Toffee's Mom, watch them whenever they go outside. I have been known to spy on my own dogs to figure out who's guilty of whatever problem behavior crops up. You need to know if the puppy is antagonizing Tarra to begin with, or if Tarra is the instigator...once you know that it'll be a lot easier to deal with.

4. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    I take it Tarra was in your home first, and Shay second. Possibly Tarra was putting Shay in his place. I agree with everyone you have to see who is the stinker and who starts the rumble. Then you will know how the situation can be corrected.

They can be characters. For your sake I hope it doesn't happen again.

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Since they have been best buds from the start, I think Shay probably challenged Tarra in some real or imagined way and Tarra was reminding her who was boss. My old Mayson did this with my Shay when he got to be about 4 or 5 months and Shay decided that he was prince of the universe and tried to horn in on Mayson's status. As long as it is a butt-whooping and then no further on-going hatred you are fine. You are goint to want to keep an eye on things until SHay gets her adult mind and understands her place in the household. I know it is scary. There were a couple times I thought my huge Mayson had literally broken the puppy but he was fine.

6. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    Hopefully it was just a case of her putting the puppy in her place, but I will say its not very encouraging to read that she was holding her down by the throat!

All my dealings with puppy discipline from an adult dog, is usually a lot of growling, if pup doesn't get the hint then the adult resorts to a series of quick snaps to the head/side of the face. Which then the pup submits to the adult by rolling on its back, after that the adult always backs off. Which is why I go by the motto no blood no foul, but if 1 of them is not backing off you got a more serious problems!

My big concern, and this is coming from talking to many different breeders and trainers (of different breeds) once 2 females decide to hate each other the only solution is separation for life, they will fight to the death. Male dogs can be more forgiving than bitches. So you will really want to watch them until they get their pack order down.

7. helps

helps Forums Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2011
    CR, Europe
    Gotta agree with others. You need to keep an eye on them to find out who's starting fights, observe them to figure out what's your next best move.

Though Jessica is right. Holding puppy down by its throat while it's yelping doesn't sound too good. Adults usually put younger ones into their place, but this really sounds more like seriosu fight. Hopefully you can sort it out soon.