Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Tinsel's Journey

Discussion in 'Rescue Stories' started by Tagg, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Tinsel is going deaf fast. We knew he had lost his hearing in his right ear due to the infections but it is obvious his left is losing ground now. I've wondered for a long time if he is older than we thought and will never know if that is the case. Today, Tin and I were sitting on the porch and he didn't realize that hubby had pulled the car into the parking area 10 feet away from were our little guy was even when Dave got out and shut the door. Tin had his back to the driveway. We have to stomp on the floor to wake him up regardless of which ear he has facing up. There is still some hearing - dog barking will still bother him but I wonder how much longer he's got to enjoy the sound of the cookie jar. I will just have to be extra diligent in making sure he never gets loose on me.

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    After all he's been through, he's probably quite content to stay close to home, so hopefully you'll never have to deal with him away from you. I hope the Riverside shelties end up in homes where they can spend their remaining years as well loved as your Tinsel is.

3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    It is a heartache when they start to lose things as they age; eyesight, hearing, muscle mass, balance, vigor. I just keep telling myself that they handle everything with such grace, that I must swallow that lump in my throat and treasure all the days together no matter what.

We can now walk up behind Asta and Ally without them hearing us. From the front, everything is still OK but not from behind. They are 12.

Give Tin Man some pats for me.

4. flowerdigger

flowerdigger Forums Novice

Mar 22, 2013
    Niagara Falls, NY
    Hearing loss

:(My Bonnie, has been deaf since I got her almost two years ago.. I did not realize it at first as she was also a rescue and 4 years old. I just thought it was how she was not being use to us. It wasn't till I went out the back door and came in the front and called her as she sat watching for me to come back thru the back door that I knew. I also stomp or clap my hands. She feels the vibrations and looks for me then. I have been using hand signs more and it is helping but I too fear her losing me... Good luck and hugs!