Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Performance Sports > Agility
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Feb 19, 2014, 06:13 PM

Labeling dogs as such is not my idea of fun and on this I do not agree with article author. While dogs are born with some tendencies to be one or other, it is training that changes it or keeps it.
I also do not agree it has anything to do with confidence, Leo is very confident dog, you know the one that has ON button, put him on the course and energizer bunny goes, he is also a performer and actually likes to perform. He is the easiest to run as he was oh so ¨mommy where you want me to go next¨ dog.
Now that I am learning new ways of handling/training my Leo is gone before I blink welcome change but also challenging.
Che, OTOH, has always taken every off obstacle that comes into his path but he is far from confident dog Now he is becoming mommy boy
Totally agree on obstacle focus.
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheltieChe View Post
Labeling dogs as such is not my idea of fun and on this I do not agree with article author. While dogs are born with some tendencies to be one or other, it is training that changes it or keeps it.
I also do not agree it has anything to do with confidence, Leo is very confident dog, you know the one that has ON button, put him on the course and energizer bunny goes, he is also a performer and actually likes to perform. He is the easiest to run as he was oh so ¨mommy where you want me to go next¨ dog.
Now that I am learning new ways of handling/training my Leo is gone before I blink welcome change but also challenging.
Che, OTOH, has always taken every off obstacle that comes into his path but he is far from confident dog Now he is becoming mommy boy
Totally agree on obstacle focus.
Every dog and every situation is different. In your case, Leo already had confidence, so it seems like it was a training issue.

In my case, my dog lacked confidence from the beginning. As she became more comfortable, her confidence boosted and she went from a dog who kept pace with me to a dog who runs at her own speed and takes what's in front of her.

Of course it takes training to build confidence, so yes training is part of it. Training, personality and exposure improved my dog's confidence and helped her go from an R dog to more of an E dog.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take4roll10 View Post
Every dog and every situation is different. In your case, Leo already had confidence, so it seems like it was a training issue.

In my case, my dog lacked confidence from the beginning. As she became more comfortable, her confidence boosted and she went from a dog who kept pace with me to a dog who runs at her own speed and takes what's in front of her.

Of course it takes training to build confidence, so yes training is part of it. Training, personality and exposure improved my dog's confidence and helped her go from an R dog to more of an E dog.
Have you thought how much you have changed, how much your confidence, abilities and knowledge has changed? How much you knowing your job has changed confidence of your dog? Giving more timely cues and such?
I think article brings up a lot of good points but some of it very unilateral and should not be thought as my dog is R and my dog is E...
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:17 PM

You don't have to agree with it, but I have found with my dogs, and the way I train, that a dog who isn't an E dog is a dog who isn't overly confident. We all tend to create a certain type of dog more than another. In my dogs, they pull up and are R dogs generally if they lack confidence as I tend to build in a lot of obstacle focus, and in mine, a refusal is typically a dog questioning what is being asked. I tend to have R dogs only when they are green and they become E dogs as they become more confident and more obstacle focused. A dog who is going out to grab things is showing confidence in that it is certain that it should be driving on ahead.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheltieChe View Post
Have you thought how much you have changed, how much your confidence, abilities and knowledge has changed? How much you knowing your job has changed confidence of your dog? Giving more timely cues and such?
I think article brings up a lot of good points but some of it very unilateral and should not be thought as my dog is R and my dog is E...
Yup, I've thought about myseld and I'm a wreck. My confidence hasn't changed much. When I'm at a trial, I always say "this is my last one. I'm not signing up for another." Bailey's confidence increases with every trial, mine hasn't.

I still have issues giving cues. In the beginning Bailey would refuse an obstacle and run back to me when I wasn't clear. Now that her confidence has grown, she takes what is in front of her if I'm late or not clear.