Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Australian shepherd?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sheltie.Mama, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Aussies DO come in a huge variety of sizes. My biggest, my red, was a lean 95 pounds and looked like a bear. My girl was 59 pounds and my Quasar was 69 but I think he was part golden. Thing is there are now so many of the "Miniature American Shepherd" or mini aussie. Same size as a sheltie more or less.

If you took a mini black tri or blue merle sheltie pup and put it side by side an aussie pup, the aussie would have much heavier boning all over, a broader head, and a wider shortner muzzle. If tailed, the aussie would carry it much higher, even almost up and over the back.

As for a sable, not even close to a red. Not even if you squint on some red merles. That is why they said collie. Aussies simply aren't that color.

Just tell people sheltie -- go look it up online.

I really really want a smooth collie! I have always loved them. Don't mind the shorthair-shed, the shepherd has done the damage to the house and car already with his shedding!

2. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    Australian Sheperd

I have had people ask me if my Blue Merle was an Aussie or a Border collie but the icing on the cake when some guy told me my sable looked like his Nova Scotia Duck Tolling.I said there is no resembalance to a sheltie if anything they look like a Golden and he told me I was nuts and I had to walk away because the guy was such an expert.:lol:

3. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    This is my family's aussie/border collie mix from when she was a little puppy, about 8 weeks old. Most people look at her and think she's an aussie, until she turns around and you see her tail! She's a pretty even mix of the two breeds. Hey, maybe somebody could even be convinced she was a bi-blue sheltie puppy? (the ears are a pretty dead give away though lol).

Attached Files:

4. Sheltie.Mama

Sheltie.Mama Forums Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    She does not strike me as a Sheltie, even though she is a lovely little pup!

5. Sheltie.Mama

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    This little puppy.. Australian shepherd/border collie?? Nope, I don't think so.. I'm pretty sure I know my own dog..

Attached Files:

6. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    She one of those longhaired German Shepherd puppies?

7. Sheltie.Mama

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    What?? No she's a Sheltie (mine in the picture) that's shay.. She's a purebred Sheltie.. You think shay looks like a German shepherd?

8. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Hee Hee. Are you sure? Just teasing you.

9. Sheltie.Mama

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    Lol, I must admit I was a bit confused. I thought you, owning both breeds would know the best!

10. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Just was thinking of something slightly the right color, white parts aside, long-haired. Thought her uncle Shay the shepherd would like it!