Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Puppies 101
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi View Post
Fillion loved to play tug and sometimes I just didn't have it in me to play tug for one more second. Thinking along the lines of how entertained my cat was with the birdie on an elastic string hanging from the doorway, I devised a cheap imitation with a flexable plant stake I got at Wal-mart, string and toys. The hard part was finding a place to put it when he got older. The stake is stuck in the metal frame of the futon :) He would tug and play by himself till he was tuckered out

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/...ps49e41f0e.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3f851b03.jpg
Haha cute idea! :)
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2014, 09:31 PM

We used two different treat dispensers for her food. One was a ball and as she rolled it around the kibble would come out. But then one day she came running up to me with half the empty dispenser in her mouth. I discovered that she figured out how to unscrew the two halfs and just eat the food out

Then we used one that is a jug with a rope and they have to tug the rope to get the kibble out. This one made her work a lot harder and she was not able to unscrew the bottom. But she did eventually break the neck of the bottle off and that was the end of it. But by that time she was much better and we could just feed completely from her bowl.

There are a ton of interactive toys out there that I am sure would be helpful.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 09:53 PM

Smile

I steal my sheltie's squeaky toy we affectionately call "squeeeeekie" if it's close to bedtime, I'll take the toy and run with it! She follows me for a good lap or two before I give it a throw. She grabs it, runs the same laps (oddly without me) when I act like I'm ignoring her, she pushes the toy against my calf and squeaks it! ( then I make chase, only fair!)

It's a silly routine, but it gets my workout in and her tuckered out for bed. Hopefully spark and idea on a fun game to play and burn some of that energy!

Angel is 6 months and has learned to fake me out when trying to steal squeaky! If you have a hard time being mobile, maybe try treat in a rubber ball. I've also used kong toy where they have to tip over the toy to get treats. Helps keep Angel focused while I load the dish washer! (If I didn't she'd try to lick every item clean)
Old Apr 27, 2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJennyAngel View Post
I steal my sheltie's squeaky toy we affectionately call "squeeeeekie" if it's close to bedtime, I'll take the toy and run with it! She follows me for a good lap or two before I give it a throw. She grabs it, runs the same laps (oddly without me) when I act like I'm ignoring her, she pushes the toy against my calf and squeaks it! ( then I make chase, only fair!)

It's a silly routine, but it gets my workout in and her tuckered out for bed. Hopefully spark and idea on a fun game to play and burn some of that energy!

Angel is 6 months and has learned to fake me out when trying to steal squeaky! If you have a hard time being mobile, maybe try treat in a rubber ball. I've also used kong toy where they have to tip over the toy to get treats. Helps keep Angel focused while I load the dish washer! (If I didn't she'd try to lick every item clean)
I do play with the ball in the house & he has "play time" every day with our cat Molly. When he is "empty" :), I let them both chase each other around the house. He chases Molly & funny enough Molly chases her. That tires him out a lot since they run up & down the stairs.

I will try some toys to put kibble in- sounds like it could keep him busy/mentally stimulated for a while.

I quite mobile ( was a figure skating coach for years) so no excuses in keeping up with Bailey !