Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Chandler and the cats

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by dogcatmom02, Jul 19, 2014.

1. dogcatmom02

dogcatmom02 Forums Regular

Apr 6, 2014
    york,pa
    Chandler is 5 months old. He is obsessed with the cats. He is always in their room. He poops in the there. I have a gate at the door but he can still fit through the cat door. Today 1 of the cats threw up and he chewed part of the carpet, I tried putting a gate at the bottom of the steps and he keeps knocking it down. I am at a loss on what to do. Any suggestions?

2. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    You are going to have to give him some work to do that will tire him out. A tired dog is a good dog. It doesn't have to be lots of running, mental exercise will also work.
    AS FOR THE CATS, do not allow chasing or mauling. Prey instinct gets stronger with this behaviour and injuries can occur. Redirect him.

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Shelties and cats...

My shelties have always been great with my cats. They know their limits as I have trained them from an early age.

I do have gates set up in my home to ensure the cats can come and go as they please.

I would work on the 'leave it' command to make sure your pup understands the limits of his interactions with the cats. Start with teaching the leave it command with items on the floor he may want to get to ... Food, toy, etc. Once he understands it at that stage you can introduce the cat using the command!

Good luck.

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I'd be sticking some cardboard across the gate so he can't fit through the bars (is it a baby gate?). Otherwise put something around the entrance to the room that cats can jump over it to get to the cat door but chandler can't, something like an x-pen, or maybe you could fashion a barrier with cardboard. Cat vomit and poo is high in protein so can be a delicacy to a dog, so you really want to stop him eating it now or he'll just keep on doing it.