Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Went NUTS on sand?!

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by 1stSheltie, Apr 11, 2012.

1. 1stSheltie

1stSheltie Forums Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    canada
    Went for our 1st hike in the woods with Julip on the weekend & she LOVED it. It was also the 1st time on the retractable leash, which she too enjoyed. Yay, more freedom to sniff! Some areas were along the river, which she was more then ready to walk right in! It was an area with small rocks leading into the water (not a full fledged fast running deep river at her point of interest!) But still, she had no fear about it! This of course being bad & good!

Now when we came across a sandy area she went NUTS!!! :yes: Out of control spaz! Thank god she was wearing her harness or she could have hurt her neck, as she all of a sudden ran super fast & of course jerked back when she hit her farthest point & then back again & again! She was doing it SO fast I couldn't get the darn leash on STOP, so I just ran off the sand myself to get her off it & calm her down.

Any other pups go CRAZY in sand?

She appeared to LOVE the way it felt under her paws. I know when we had a bit of snow she would jump & dive in it, it was the same with the sand, only add insane running to this mix.

Oh & she was also trying to EAT it?! Its sand, is she nuts? :wink2:

Least now we are fully prepared for the 1st time we hit the beach with TONS of sand - help! NO retractable leash then, just a heavy duty 6 ft. leash attached to MY belt, so she doesn't start running & not stop!

I'm assuming her reaction was because it was brand new to her & hopefully this won't be a forever thing?!
    Julip is almost 4 months (will be on the 14th)

2. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    My Dandie loves the sand. They go to the beach quite a bit and she runs around like crazy and then digs holes. We actually taught her to dig on command. It is so funny.

I am running out now, but if I remember when I get back I will share a video of her digging.

3. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    How strong is Julip? I have this picture of her racing through the sand, dragging you by the leash still strapped around your waist. (I know, I'm bad). I have never had mine to the beach, but I am sure Liam would just love it.

4. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    lol, mine love sand, we live kind of close to the ocean, so they run the beaches. clam season is funny, they see people digging for clams, so they start too (faster then some of the people) more then once, people have asked, can we borrow the diggers ?

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Deska always goes silly in the sand, gets the zoomies and runs around in circles. He does it on sand anywhere, altho he has a bit of trouble doing zoomies in the athletics long-jump sand pit. I think its the different feel under their feet that make them go silly.

6. DieDany

DieDany Forums Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2012
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    :biggrin2: Perry loves sand as well. And he doesn't care much, if it's on the beach or at a construction site. Especially if there are piles of sand:wink2:

7. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    We haven't had ours to a beach but our old lhasa-poo used to go bonkers in the sand. She had a doggie friend she always played with at a schoolyard we walked to & they would play like lunatics in a sand pit there. 'Sand pit wrestling' we called it. It was so cute to watch:smile2: Running, jumping, zoomies, they had a blast.

A couple years into their friendship the owners got tired of the dog & turned her in to the Humane Society, told us he was sick of her shedding & wasn't going to clean it up while they listed their home. Kallie came home with us after that. We didn't walk to that school anymore, so no more sand pit games. She was a great dog, though she wasn't a sheltie (she was an English Pointer).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  8. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    awwww, bless you for taking her in!

Sand oh yeah.. Toffee loved it as a pup.. also any kind of loose dirt, dig dig dig, zoomie, smile, dig, plunk down roll in it, zoomie again

9. CluneBrae

CluneBrae Forums Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2011
    Canada
    Hi!!!
    Mystique is a sand freak too. Her favorite running game now is for us to run on the sand and change direction really quickly and frequently. I swear that puppies are the greatest fitness trainers for us peoples.
    The funniest was the day she found what we call 5th gear while running in the sand. So proud of herself that she tore around and around doing super zoomies. So funny.
    We have a light weight long rope that we take with us to the beach. We are very fortunate to live near many smaller cove beaches surrounded by rock that very few people go to. Mystique can run and we can work on training with her.

10. 1stSheltie

1stSheltie Forums Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    canada
    I hear ya Emmasmom! I can totally picture this too - help! ...
    All the while, my hubby is taking pics - NOT helping!!! :biggrin2:

Enjoyed hearing about all the other doggies who love the sand too!

Oh its going to be a FUN summer! :yes: