Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Training for being a service dog.

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by trini, Jun 27, 2014.

1. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Starting this thread in response to Mei-Li's owner who hopes to train Mei-Li as a service dog. :)

I think the most important thing when training for different chores is to remember to always break the training into tiny steps.

If you want your dog to pick something up and bring it to you...first get your dog to focus on the item. This can be done by asking your dog to "touch" the item...bring it right in front of their nose and the instant they sniff the item, praise using the name of the item...ie "good sock, good pencil, good shoe", etc. From there you proceed to: having them pick up the item, having them bring the item to you, having them release the item...make sure they have fully understood and respond 100% of the time to each step before you proceed to the next step and always use the name of the item so they learn it and can sort through many things to find and bring it to you when you ask for it. Always praise big time for each step they accomplish...initially you can use treats to up the praise...then gradually back off the treats to only once in a while.

To work on asking to go out there are two easy methods. The first is teaching "bark" on command. This is easily done by praising "good bark" when they are barking. Work until when you say "good bark" your dog automatically barks. (I would strongly recommend you also teach "no bark", so you have a stop measure if they decide barking is the way to please you all the time!!:lol:) Then when they need to go out, go to the door with them, command "good bark" and only open the door once they have barked to go out. Most dogs "get this" almost immediately and will then always bark at the door when needing to go out. Second method...some people prefer to hang a bell at the door and teach their dog to either hit the bell with their nose or paw to ring it and signal they need to have the door opened to go out...this works too...teach focus/"bell" name, then touch/ring, etc. The downside to this training is that Mei-Li may decide to bark or ring the bell just to have fun going outside and not only when she needs to do her business...you will have to learn to judge when her request is for serious stuff or just for play.

Dogs can learn to do just about anything you want to teach them...just remember to break down any behavior you want them to learn into tiny steps and you will get wonderful results.

I am sure others will have lots of helpful info to add.

Have fun!!!!!

Trini

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Exposure, exposure, exposure. A service dog has to be bomb-proof to people, dogs, noises, sights, surprise situations, etc. They have to be flexible, meaning they take anything and everything as perfectly OK by them no matter how surprised they are by a child running up, a train going by, lights flashing, a siren, absolutely anything. No matter what happens or what you ask of the dog, it has to go "oh, OK, no problem, I can do that" and not get scared or mad or refuse.

That is, of course, if the SD is working in public -- working only at home is not so vigorous. My friend's SD puppy will work mostly at home fetching, bracing, and steadying. However, we are going to train her to work publicly in case that is required if the lady's condition deteriorates. Over train so you are ready for any need. Under train and you may find you need more than the dog can handle some day.

Puppy needs to see the whole world as a wonderful place. Not exciting or scary, but just and OK place to be.

3. Mei-Li

Mei-Li Forums Regular

May 4, 2014
    Macao
    Wonderful tips

Thanks for starting this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I do not intend to share my dog lol. I just want to adapt her to my needs as I am deaf. Door bell is out of options.

For now I just want Mei-Li to be my SD and to bark when I left things out of place. To give you a few examples:

1) Bark when phone and door bell rings.

2) Bark when someone left the water running. My dad does that a lot and a week ago, the water run for over 3 hours!:eek2:

3) Could my dog wake me up barking instead of putting her paws on my face???:mad:

As for the dirty laundry good stuff...so glad MeiLi has some fetish for dirty socks lol. As for other items I tried to make her take in her mouth and failed miserably.

Question: Can I use peanut butter on the items. I feel that her smelling sense is not the best, but yes the hearing and her glutton side. Of course I do not want to overfeed her...I just want to use the bad and the good in her to train her the best way I can.:winkgrin:

4. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Each chore you mention that you want Mei-Li to bark for you can train her the same way you train bark for going out. When she paws your face...command her to bark once she has learned the bark command...and give her loads of attention/praise when she does it.

And, absolutely, peanut butter or a smelly cheese spread are great training tools! I have used them for countless training needs...including putting it on items that a dog may be fearful of and just leaving them to approach the item at their own speed, lick off the PB and over time they come to like an item they once feared...ie vacuum cleaner, outside tools like a rake, etc. I also used PB for my little past doggie who was diabetic and needed two insulin shots daily...I would smear a teaspoon of PB or cheese on a kitchen cabinet door and while he was licking it off I would inject his insulin. Worked beautifully and he never grew to fear or hide from me when he saw me getting his injection ready even though I am sure the shots were not fun to get.

Trini

5. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Sounds like you are getting off to a good start. I would suggest you find a service dog organization and talk to them. At some point, your dog will need to be evaluated and approved - if it is like it is here in Canada. They can give you information as to what you should be looking towards, etc.

6. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    This video shows what a young girl with her very first dog can teach...not a sheltie but shelties are just as smart as JRT's.

With your wanting Mei-Li just to be a "service" dog for you and your parents inside your home there is no need for professional training/evaluation, etc...have fun! :)

http://www.youtube.com/embed/PztO-OvzRyg?rel=0

7. Mei-Li

Mei-Li Forums Regular

May 4, 2014
    Macao
    Sadly there is no such thing in Macao ( China).:gaah

8. Mei-Li

Mei-Li Forums Regular

May 4, 2014
    Macao
    wonderful thanks so much!:hugs

Today I could manage her to drop the sock at my command. Now just misses her carrying the sock to where I want her....Usually she just dances with it. :lol:

9. Mei-Li

Mei-Li Forums Regular

May 4, 2014
    Macao

drolls over the Jesse. Well I find too much lol but good work anyways. Thumbs up for the girl who taught Jesse.

10. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Professional advice can help in this as well - they see things we don't see. And they have the experience to make suggestions as to how to go about training.