Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Sheltie Chat
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:33 AM

Barbara Thompson's Barwood Shelties are very typie -- a distinctive head for sure!
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2013, 01:08 PM

Far back in Dickens's lineage (and probably that of every other American Sheltie) is a dog named Mowgli that typifies the Dickens look; that is, long, sharp snout, wide ears, relatively short coat and an intense stare that looks right through you. This is a contrast to the "cute" type Sheltie with the prominent stop that's so popular nowadays; to my eyes it has more of the Rough Collie look than otherwise.

Of course there's absolutely no way of telling (apart from DNA testing) whether any of Mowgli's genes filtered down to Dickens, since he doesn't come from the direct male line. But I wouldn't be surprised!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:58 PM

I was at an agility trial today and saw a sheltie that looks just like Jody! Her dog came from someone in OK that had two sheltie's and wanted puppies (you all know how I feel about THAT). When I got Jody I had no clue how to pick a breeder, he was from basically the same type of people only in TX. I'm thinking they could be related, they have the same body and head type. The only thing different is Jody's fur is longer and a little thicker on the chest (he's a little older than the other dog). They also have the same bad hair days, they sometimes look matted and ungroomed just a few hours after being brushed (this can be EXTREMELY annoying). Quite a coincidence, we'er both starting to get the fur problem taken care of with supplements and better food.

Tell me what you think, Jody's one the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user4874_pic6055_1384122290[1].jpg (30.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg user4874_pic5988_1382382731[1].jpg (26.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Tabitha; Nov 10, 2013 at 06:05 PM.