Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

obedience/rally trial attire?

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Rileys mom, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Rileys mom

Rileys mom Forums Enthusiast

May 6, 2013
    MN
    I entered Riley in an obedience/rally trial in 2 weeks. It is our first trial. I am wondering what appropriate attire to wear would be? Would khaki pants and a blouse be okay, or is that too casual?

Also from my understanding I need a tagless collar for Riley. Would a leather martingale be acceptable? I think the rules about dog collars needs to be more specific.

2. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I can only speak from my personal experience with Trace - he earned his RE and CD titles. All of the trails we entered were in fairly small towns (50,000 population & less) and the dress was almost always casual (I even wore a Green Bay Packer jersey in one event since they were playing that afternoon). You will want to look nice in the pictures, holding your ribbons. :smile2:

It's been a few years since I was in a Rally ring. I don't think the judges ever cared what type of collar Trace had on - just noticed at our very first entry as were were about to enter the ring that I had forgotten to take off the tags. What a way to start our competition career!

The most important advice is to relax & have fun! I wish you luck!

3. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    I usually wear business casual to shows.

4. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I usually go casual to rally trials, as do most of the people in the area. The only time you tend to see someone dressed up for rally or obedience in my area is if there is also a conformation class happening the same day, such as at the Sheltie Specialty I attend in February.

I have some rally t-shirts I wear with jeans to rally trials. When its cooler outside, I'll throw a blazer jacket over it. I'm definitely not sloppy but I am casual.

As for collars, I use either a flat buckle collar or rolled leather buckle collar since when I started I couldn't get a clear answer on martingales. The best I was able to get was 'it depends on the judge' so I erred on the side of caution. That said, all the judges I've shown under had no issue with martingales OR slip collars like was is used in the show ring.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  5. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I also like to look like a team with my dog, wearing styles and colors that compliment his good looks. As long as clothes are clean and neat, they can be of any description. I will wear nice blue jeans with tucked in shirt and belt.

Have fun, you are going to be terrific, remember that a smile is the best thing you can wear in the ring!!!

6. Rileys mom

Rileys mom Forums Enthusiast

May 6, 2013
    MN
    Thanks! I think I will just bring a rolled leather collar so I dont have any issues with a martingale or having to remove my tags.

Rally class went well last night. It was out first time doing actual courses in several months. We usually just practice at home a few exercises at a time.

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I wore the same -- khakis and a nice shirt. I'd also wear long skirts I could move well in. I used a good quality training collar ("choke" chain type).

8. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    Oh noooo - not long skirts!!! Please don't tell me that long skirts are a part of Rally and/or Obedience "uniform" attire. That will put both sports OFF of my radar. I could pull off a lot of looks - but long skirts AIN'T one of them.

9. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Good luck at your trial. Cadbury is entered in one on 17 August. I bought him a new collar, but never considered my clothes! I am going in my agility gear - navy trainers, black jeans, t-shirt. To be honest that is pretty much all I wear!

10. fuzbuttsheltie

fuzbuttsheltie Forums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Jeff - this is for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IgDzO7yi1Q

Hang in there and watch the last exercise. Obedience at it's finest!

Dani
    OTCh Staymat Magnificent Journey UDX, OM2
    Blackmyst Poker Face CDX, RN
    Armitage Dazzling Spun Gold CDX, RAE
    Double Dare Derrick CD, RAE