Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Performance Sports > Obedience
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Apr 6, 2012, 01:34 PM

Red face Have you tried freestyle?

I am beginning to love Canine Freestyle. I've been visiting the CFF Guilds classes for about a year but never really thought of taking it seriously. It really helped Bobbys heeling and we discovered a little joy in doing it together. Because of the ebb and flow and he gets a vote in our choreography, he has come to enjoy it alot. Kinda balances the hush hush of our obedience.

Justus seems to have some built in rhythm, and that's good, because I do not have it and actually I am not supposed to be on the beat,the dog is...

No fancy costumes, just well presented and the handler should sort of disappear and showcase the dogs movement to music... Besides, I will never look like Sandra Davis does in Sparkles and tights... Lol... Although the "ham" in me would love to be Ginger Rodgers to Bobby's Fred Astaire...
*snort*.

Have you wanted to try freestyle, or have you done some? Any waltzing around the living room?
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2012, 09:41 PM

We used to do dancing, but had to give it up last year as the concrete floor we practised on was too much for Deska's arthritis. Deska looooved it - he actually has a natural rhythm and enjoys music, esp swing music for some reason - starts dancing all by himself when he hears it. Only one problem we had - he would offer all these dance moves at flyball, it is so hard to catch a dog thats doing a backward walking spin!

We just approved DWD classes at my dog club starting next session, unfortunately Deska won't be going as he'll be having surgery. But it will be interesting to see how many takers we get.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:46 PM

I love it! It's very complimentary to obedience, rally, and agility. It's definitely Starr's favourite sport (probably agility is a close second).
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:53 AM

I'm really keen on doing some doggy dancing! I've been training them to do tricks and it'll be great to put them together. I think Romeo will enjoy it especially, since he find obedience hella boring.