Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How big are 8-9 week old puppies?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Judyg, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I know you can't get an exact size, but are most usually able to fly in the cabin? Our breeder is near Sacramento and it's a long drive. I don't want to ship a puppy in the cargo space of a plane, but want to be able to carry her on if possible.

Considering I won't hear about said puppy until the end of the month, and then have to wait another 8 weeks!! I am just trying to figure out if I can fly up rather than take a long drive from So. Ca. We figured that it would cost us about the same and we would not be spending all that time driving with a little one.

2. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    At 10 weeks old, my puppy was 7.3 lbs. And she's 25 lbs full grown. I think you can expect a 8-9 week old puppy to be less than 10 lbs, and they should be able to fly in the cabin with you.

3. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    My 9 week Old female is 4 1/2 pounds

4. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    That's good to know. Thanks

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Friend's son just flew an 8 week old golden with him from Fresno to Oregon in the cabin. If he could do that, you could certainly do it with a sheltie pup. Definitely fly.

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Callan was just over 4 lbs at 8 weeks. You should have no problem

The airlines only criteria is that you have a carrier that fits their regulations. If I remember correctly most airlines stipulate no more than 19 inches in height...and either soft or plastic is acceptable.

Check with your airline for confirmation, but you should have no problem I think bringing pup on board. Even if pup is older

7. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Definitely book your pup well ahead of time if you want it in the cabin. I flew my little pom on Westjet and their policy is no more than one pet in the cabin per flight. You also will not be able to put the carrier on the seat it must remain stowed - I got into trouble for putting it on my lap :confused2:

8. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Also make sure that you don't open the carrier, some FAs are lenient but I've also seen someone kicked off a flight for opening her bag after being told not to (she also brought the dog in a purse so...)

I would definitely call ahead to let the airline know you are bringing a dog.

Height on some flights is down to 13" (the dog has to be able to stand up in the carrier which has to go under the seat) but that shouldn't be a problem with a puppy.

9. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Definitely work with airlines ahead of time. Friend's son had to pay $100 to have dog in cabin (not sure of which carrier but it was out of Fresno). He got the regulation 19" kennel and the golden couldn't quite stand up but part of it was that he wouldn't not couldn't -- puppy, no stand command, just laid and looked cute. He did have to remove the pup from the carrier at check in and take the pup through the scanner on his person so make sure you are metal-free (collar-tags) go with something which is all plastic or such. The flight is such a short hop it shouldn't be bad.

10. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I'm quite a few months away at this point in time, but I'm taking notes so that I'll be ready when the time comes