Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Goodbye Trace - my sunshine

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by bkzoo, Mar 7, 2014.

1. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    · It was a shock to us & the 3 vets we worked with to find out what was going on with him. Trace suddenly stopped eating on a Friday. We managed to coax him to eat a little over the weekend, but this was so unlike him. Vet blood tests on the following Monday showed liver issues, ultrasound the following Wednesday showed liver damage. Couldn't do biopsy to determine liver disease or cancer because his blood failed the clotting tests. Neither issue would be expected in a 4 1/2 year old Sheltie. We started treating for liver disease & Vitamin K to help get his blood to clot.
    The following Saturday night he happily trotted into his crate for the evening. During this whole week he never once acted sick - just didn't want to eat. Sunday morning he was alert - could see it in his eyes, but he seemed paralyzed. An emergency call to the vet was made & we planned on meeting him at the clinic.
    Before we left for that emergency visit, I was holding Trace in my arms & I could see the life leaving his eyes. He passed away peacefully at 7 am on 1/26.
    I am attaching one of Trace's puppy photos. The second one is with his "big brother" Toby, who was awesome at teaching him everything he needed to know about being a dog.
    There is no way Trace can ever be replaced, but the house just seems "wrong" without a 2nd dog. I am working with a local breeder & there are 2 litters (hopefully) expected in May. There is a chance we will be bringing a little sable boy home in July. Already thinking of names, which helps take some of the sadness out of my heart.

Attached Files:

2. ute_fan

ute_fan Forums Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Callie sends extra kisses your way.

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I know he was right where he wanted to be to the end and your loving presence eased his transition. Best wishes in the right little soul finding you to join your family soon.

4. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    I am so very sorry to hear of Trace's passing.

My heart and prayers go out to both you and Trace's "big brother" Toby.

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    There really are no words anyone can say that lessen the heartbreak. Trace was dearly loved and he carried that love with him into eternity.

I hope the expected May litters will have a little soul who comes to join your family.

Trini

6. terdonal

terdonal Forums Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2008
    Maple Ridge. BC
    Very sorry to hear about your sudden loss. At least he was in your arms when he crossed over to the bridge and another ray of sunshine is waiting for you.

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I am so very sorry for your loss. Sending you warm thoughts during this difficult time.

8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    What a shock that must have been. I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose Trace at such a young age. I'm very sorry he's passed on.

Hope a new boy will brighten your life soon.

9. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    I have no words other than to send you my heartfelt condolences.

10. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss of Trace, it is always such a shock when we have to say goodbye, especially at such a young age. I hope you find your new heart dog soon to help your healing process. I know the new baby will not be a replacement, that is an impossibility, the new baby will just be in addition too. Can't wait to see pictures of your new companion.