Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Diamond Suspends Production

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Lightplum, Apr 12, 2012.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Only a few batches, but it is still a telling story and worth watching. If I had my dogs on ANY of the Diamond products (e.g. not just TOTW and CHSP) I would be transitioning now, just to be safe. I don't think this story is over.

btw....I've had no shipments of either product since this was raised. They truly have stopped shipment, so your local pet store may run out soon anyway.

2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

btw - Anybody having issues with Natural Balance? I had a customer return a bag last week because his dog was sick on it. He said it was because he had switched from one protein to another....but now I'm wondering.

3. mcemily

mcemily Forums Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    We've got both our dog and cat on TOTW, and bought a new bag for each just before this story first blew up. Lerwick is on the TOTW lamb formula (can't remember their cutesy name for it... Sierra Mountain?) and he hasn't shown any signs of trouble (neither has the cat, for that matter)... but I definitely do not want to chance it again after these bags are gone. I'm pretty bummed because I was really excited about TOTW when we first started feeding it back in December. Back to the drawing board, I guess, to find a new food we feel good about AND can fit in our budget.
    :gaah

4. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    What they really need to do is put better regulations over these pet food companies. I've been reading a Harvard dissertation paper on the incestuous relationships between the pet companies, the FDA, and AAFCO. It's sickening and the regulations are so lax it's not even funny.

If you have some free time, this article is great. It's so in-depth and easy to follow. It really breaks everything down to a T. Be careful, though, as I'm not sure you'll feel comfortable feeding any kibble once you read this.

http://leda.law.harvard.edu/leda/data/784/Patrick06.html

5. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    New Recall from Diamond April 30

Diamond Dry Puppy Food Formula is being recalled. What next?

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

This is why I like the Canadian brands so much. They do their own production. Now! Go! Acana! Horizen, Orijen, Pronature Holistic, etc.

I was shocked to find out how many foods were being manufactured by Diamond. It's just begging for problems.

7. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    I agree! I would only feel comfortable feeding on of the above brands you mentioned. The only American manufactured foods I'd consider are Nature's Logic and Fromm.

8. GChiu

GChiu Forums Enthusiast

Don't forget Holistic Blend as a Canadian brand. I've been feeding Indie this since the first day I got him and it's still his favorite.

However, only recently I tried a rotational diet and I did use start to use ToTW and so far no problems... I think I'm going to just stick with what we've been using all along to be safe.

9. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

The distribution control on the Diamond products is pretty strigent.

If you can still find it in your normal store, you can be pretty assured that its safe. If you store is diligent, they would have pulled anything unsafe by now. To my knowledge, there were only two CHSP products that I had to check my shelves for.

The issue now is that we continue to be short shipped on it, so we are quickly running out of some product. We were supplied out of NC, so now we are looking to get product from other plants.

10. SheltieGuy

SheltieGuy Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2009
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Last edited: May 4, 2012